Join now - be part of our community!

Apple tv+ app

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Tektek12

Apple tv+ app

Hi does anyone know if the AF9 will be getting the Apple tv+ app when it comes out?

Just don't want to go fork out for an apple box if the tv will get the app fairly soonish.#

I know Samsung will have the app.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

Sony will get left behind as Samsung grabs all the features and apps quicker. 

they are getting an Apple TV+ App
we are not 

we have the better overall picture quality but they have the content, ironically!!!!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Tektek,

We will check this and let you know what we find out.
Until then, our members may have some knowledge to share too.

Best wishes,
Ed

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Hi @EdwinaU 

I can see at the bottom of Apples Press Release that the Apple TV+ App is 'coming to Sony Platforms' 'in the future' and that 'Customers with eligible Sony smart TVs will be able to enjoy AirPlay 2 support later this year.'

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-tv-launches-november-1-featuring-originals-from-the-wor...

Do you have an update to confirm that the Sony Smart TV Platform being referred to is Android TV?

Also it sounds that a software update will be required for AirPlay 2, so presumably that has an indicative date too?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@EdwinaU  schrieb:

We will check this and let you know what we find out.

Why don't you guys stop this kind of posting? You hardly ever come back with any valuable information.

Do you have an update to confirm that the Sony Smart TV Platform being referred to is Android TV?

Accoring to Sony press material, Apple support will only come to some of this year's models (XG85, XG95, AG9, ZG9), see here. Not ETA given.

Also it sounds that a software update will be required for AirPlay 2, so presumably that has an indicative date too?

Same procedure as every year... We have seen tremendous delays for Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, PVR, Dolby Vision... this year it is AirPlay2 support and Pie.

Your TV most probably won't get AirPlay2 support anyway. Sony's crappy strategies which only lead to unsatisfied customers. No benefit at all limiting the feature to the mentioned models.

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

Sony will get left behind as Samsung grabs all the features and apps quicker. 

they are getting an Apple TV+ App
we are not 

we have the better overall picture quality but they have the content, ironically!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

The Apple support website is not saying that the app is going to be available on Sony Android TV's. Merely that TV's which have been upgraded to Airplay ( X950G for me ) will be able to 'cast' from their Apple device. This works ok for us. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/tvplus/apd173534ffb/1.0/web/1.0

I've also been able to use my Windows laptop to access Apple TV+ in Chrome and Chromecast my desktop to the TV ( a bit 'choppy' though ) but the best way is to connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI and use the TV as an external monitor. Works very well.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Beh @miscofi apple support says "The Apple TV app, [..] is not yet available on Vizio and Sony Smart TVs."

So if I read it well, it will be...but maybe I'm a bit optimistic :wink:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

There is quite some hope that some day the app will also be available on Android TV as Fire TV, for which the app is already available, is basically just another Android flavour with all the same APIs. Support-wise, Fire TV with its five devices is probably better to maintain compared to the hundreds of Android TV devices. That's probably why they started there...

profile.country.GB.title
Talljed

I see that Sony have started to roll out the app to Tv's in Europe and USA today. Does anyone have it yet?

https://presscentre.sony.co.uk/pressreleases/sony-launches-the-apple-tv-app-on-select-smart-tvs-3042...

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

It's not on Google play store on my Sony TV although I've got the Airplay
upgrade so can use it via my phone