Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

Either way the update didn’t work on my television and Sony are arrogant enough to not bother supporting customers who have invested heavily in televisions in 2016/2017. There only interested in new customers and are clearly not bothered that many customers like myself have lost all faith and loyalty to them both as a brand and as a technology company.

Delaying these major software updates is visable evidence of there lack of competence and arrogance to support legacy customers. They hope that I am gullible enough to go out and buy a new Sony screen so I can watch the World Cup in 4K but that’s simply not going happen Sony! #FAIL

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@lukejohnson wrote:

Either way the update didn’t work on my television and Sony are arrogant enough to not bother supporting customers who have invested heavily in televisions in 2016/2017. There only interested in new customers and are clearly not bothered that many customers like myself have lost all faith and loyalty to them both as a brand and as a technology company.

Delaying these major software updates is visable evidence of there lack of competence and arrogance to support legacy customers. They hope that I am gullible enough to go out and buy a new Sony screen so I can watch the World Cup in 4K but that’s simply not going happen Sony! #FAIL

In what way didn't the update work? Unfortunately the BBC with or without Sonys help decided not to support any of the 2016 or 2017 Sony Android TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Again I think people are forgetting that the MediaTek chipset in certain 2015/2016 TVs is not capable of the 50fps high speed framerate in the BBC feed. You cannot run anything over 29.997fps UHD reencodes in 4K on those first MediaTek chipsets in 4k via the inbuilt media player or via an APP.

If you buy a cheap dongle you can enjoy the world cup in 4k HDR. The HDMI ports are capable of these streams just perfectly so Sony sold you a TV you can play UHD HDR HLG BBC feeds on if you spend £50. You are not entitled to anything. You are first world problems. Please spend £50 instead of spending £50 worth of your time moaning about it instead.

BBC/Sony will never support the first MediaTek Android TVs because they can’t. It isn’t possible to decode the content fast enough. Benchmarks of the chipset prove it.
profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Sums it up very well really...

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

whilst I can totally understand  that people are not happy  that the iplayer app on our sony's can't be used to access the  bbc 4k hdr content, me included but there are workarounds available until  such time that there is an updated  iplayer app which  will work on those  who have tv's with the x1  extreme processor.

As many have already pointed  out  you can acess the content by using external players and devices Roku sticks or  like me if you have a virgin v6 box then  the  iplayer app  on that works really well  and the quality of the  world cup  and Wimbledon tennis is extremly good.my V6 would  only work and get the hdr content if i used the  faster  hdi inputs which on my xe9305  are  hdmi 2 or 3.

you also need to change the  video output on the V6 box to  4 K passthrough not just 4 K

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Since when did anyone ever make a high end 43”?
profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

And that useless comment completely sums you up I’m afraid. Enjoy!

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@lukejohnson wrote:

And that useless comment completely sums you up I’m afraid. Enjoy!

any yours was helpful anduseful how exactly ??? and thanks I will and am enjoying the  hdr content

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@bemaniac84  schrieb:
Again I think people are forgetting that the MediaTek chipset in certain 2015/2016 TVs is not capable of the 50fps high speed framerate in the BBC feed. You cannot run anything over 29.997fps UHD reencodes in 4K on those first MediaTek chipsets in 4k via the inbuilt media player or via an APP.

That's just wrong. I played 2160p60 HEVC in Kodi (including HDR10) without problems on an ATV1 based TV from early 2016. It is just a matter of properly optimizing the player app.

From what I could see, even 2017 ATV2 models (like the XE90) are not supported. It is exactly the same HW platform as 2018 models (MediaTek MT5891 a.k.a. MT5596). So something is totally wrong in your argumentation as an XE90 is already based on the new hardware but is still not supported. Has anyone actually tested a 2018 model? It just does not make any sense that a XF85 is supported while a XE90 is not.

In Austria, you can watch the WC2018 2160p50 HEVC HLG (36mbps) stream on ATV1 via ORF TVthek.

who have tv's with the x1  extreme processor.

People keep mixing up application and image processor. X1 (Extreme) is the image processor. It only does video post processing. All other things (like video decoding) are done on the application processor which is a cheap, slow and buggy MediaTek chip. But this chip is slow even up to the latest Sony 2018 models. Sony claims their products to be premium... there is nothing premium about MediaTek...

XF85 for example has the X1 (without the Extreme) and is supported according to the BBC list. So it has nothing to do with X1 vs. X1 Extreme. X1 Extreme does not make a TV faster or more capable. It just improves on the video post processing. A XF70, which is supported according to the BBC list, doesn't even have the X1 basic version.

This is really some artificial limitation or BBC/Sony not getting their act together. The list of supported devices is just totally weird...

Supported:

- non-Android TV devices from 2017

- non-Android TV devices from 2018

- Android TV (ATV2) devices from 2018 (XF85, XF90, AF8 a.s.o.)

Not supported:

- Android TV (ATV1) devices from 2015 (XC series)

- Android TV (ATV1) devices from 2016 (XD85, XD93 a.s.o.)

- Android TV (ATV2) devices from 2016 (XD80, ZD9 a.s.o.)

- Android TV (ATV2) devices from 2017 (XE85, XE90 a.s.o.)

Just doesn't make any sense at all. But that's Sony. Most of the stuff they do in the TV business does not make a ton of sense.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Thank you for the comprehensive post @Kuschelmonschter I was facepalming reading the previous posts.

Nothing about this debacle makes sense apart from Sonys ineptitude.