Join now - be part of our community!

Blue Planet 2 in 4K HDR

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

Blue Planet 2 in 4K HDR

Hi

BBC have announced that all episodes of Blue Planet 2 will be available on their iplayer platform in 4K HDR after this Sundays episode:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/blue-planet-II-uhd

None of the XE9005 TVs are listed as being compatible to receive these broadcasts. Can someone please let me know if this is the case?

I don't see why they would not be considering they have all received the HLG update.

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

to me it looks like 

Sony & Problems !!!!Sony & Problems !!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Littledobby

I'm really anoyed about this, my TV (KD 50SD8005)  had the HLG update and to find it still can't play the BBC iPlayer 4k hdr is very disappointing to say the least.

Shame on you Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
sounder52
Explorer

Just spotted a couple of posts on the DigitalSpy forum which may have some relevance here:

1) Public service announcement - according to the "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung" thread on the Samsung Community forums, there is an iPlayer app update landed today (20/12/17) that means 2017 Samsung model owners are now seeing the UHD HLG version being offered by their TVs.

2) That's the point. It's not just the TV firmware that needs updating to support HLG, the app needs to be updated as well and these days the BBC don't provide the apps for free because of the number of platforms there are out there. 

Could cost be an issue here?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

So this isn't coming then?

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

There's more chance of the Daily Mail saying Brexit was a bad idea than Sony sorting this out before the 10th Jan

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

I will be seriously peed off if my  9305 cant be used  to view  the   4kblue planet content    on Iplayer. Sort it out Sony  and whilst you areat it  how about  letting uk  users have the firmware update to make our tv's support Dolby Vision as promised.

profile.country.GB.title
BerkshireBugsy
Explorer

I'm not sure the BP2 4K stuff is still On iPlayer.

I thought the issue was down to the BBC not certifying the android sets rather than SONY not pulling their finger out but may be wrong 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, now it's no longer available Sony have shuffled this under the carpet.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

Yup looks like its  been pulled from Iplayer and with all the buck passing its not clear if its down to Sony or the BEEB  my mney's on it being down to Sony They  were meant t obe rolling out a  firmware update to make thexe  93's  haveDolby Vision support but fro what iveread  about the release  which  hasalready been rolled out in the US is that its half baked and that  dolby vision will only be supported  via  streaming apps and players will require a firmware update  too  so that the Metadata   will be  pre processed  by the app or hardware. So   why the X1  extreme chip isnt powerful enough to  process it in  my tv  is beyond me 😞