Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KD43XG8196 2019 4K

profile.country.GB.title
Bradwell77
Explorer

Bravia KD43XG8196 2019 4K

Just taken delivery of new Android TV. Still learning to operate.

Bought a small Bush smart TV in Oct 2019 and watch catch up UK TV Play.

How can I get same App on the Bravia. Tried searching on Google Play but does not appear.

Simple set up instructions needed.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bradwell77 

Buy a NowTV or Roku Stick from Curry’s or Argos for under £30, plug it into an HDMI port on the TV, and set it up.

You would need to create an account on the NowTV Stick, but there is no need to subscribe unless you want to.

However, the Roku Stick won’t make you do that, so unless you are going to want NowTV, it’s simpler.

Once you are set up, you can watch the free UKTVPlay app on the Stick.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Bradwell77
Explorer

Thanks for this.

So, in a nutshell, buy a £130 Bush smart TV from Argos and you can watch Freeview which includes a UKTV Play app where you can watch Dave, Gold etc to your heart’s content.

Buy a 2019 4K Sony Bravia with all ‘whistles and bells’ and you have to go and fork out more cash buy a dongle to watch UK TV Play.......think I made a mistake here!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bradwell77 

Got it in a nutshell 😢

Before buying one of these sets, it’s as well to ensure it’s not a case where the whistles don’t blow, and the bells don’t ring.

And when you find half the entries in the Guide on YouView missing, or you want to use the satellite side, even though it’s not Freesat, or you want to record from the TV; and so you disable YouView to use the Freeview side of the set, you will find the itv Hub and All4 are disabled with it. If indeed, they worked in the first place.

And then at least, you will find these are on your dongle, too, and need to be watched from there, and you will bless the fact that you bought it.

But I bet the Sony picture is rather better than the one on Bush, even if beauty is only screen deep....

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Apparently UKTV play can be sideloaded to the Android TV now. I have not tested it myself.

See https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/uktv-play-on-sony-android-tv/td-p/2421359/page/2

Basically you need to download it to a USB drive, install FX Explorer or similar from the app store on the TV and then install the files using the FX Explorer or similar from the USB drive.

File avaialble from;

https://github.com/hoshsadiq/bravia-youview-player-launchers/releases/tag/v2.1.0