brownz
Explorer

Dolby Vision on sony bravia kd55xe9005

Is dolby vision coming to any other tv than the top sony tvs 

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Dolby Vision won't be coming to our XE9005s as they don't have the X1 Extreme processor. 

The new XF9005 will be getting it though.

profile.country.GB.title
brownz
Explorer

so cheaper lg models haver a better chipset:rage:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@brownz wrote:

so cheaper lg models haver a better chipset:rage:

Well.. Dolby Vision apart the Sony XE90 is considered my many technical sites the best 4K HDR LCD TV for the price. The X1 line of co-processors (the ones responsibile for upscaling, HDR and so on) earned a very good reputation.

Apart that there is one thing I don't understand: Dolby Vision is up to 12 bits. I am not sure how much better it will be a DV image in a 10 bits display compared to HDR10. Or how it works around the reduced number of bits. But sure, some support is better that none.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I don't actually blame Sony for lack of DV on the XE9005. HDR10 is a great picture and in the medium term is good enough for me. I bought this TV knowing DV was not going to be available.

I am more annoyed about HLG to be honest as the TV is supposed to  support it, yet it doesn't work with the only provider using it (BBC, iPlayer). Now this I do blame Sony for. For not sorting it out with the BBC. :slight_smile:

Same with YouTube HDR support, all the press and reviews and news sites suggested YouTube HDR support was coming. It didn't.. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Yukkaspecial
Explorer

I watched blue planet 2 in HLG 2160p on SkyQ on my Sony Bravia xe90/x9005e.

It didn’t recognise the signal when HDR was set to auto. I had to manually select HLG in picture/display settings and change it back to auto later so HDR10 would work.

I wasn’t aware of the superior quality of DV and HDR10+ when I purchased the TV. It’s a shame that the rated best medium range TV for 2017 can’t be updated to support it. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I thought SkyQ did not support HDR? If you manually force your Sony TV into a HDR mode with an SDR picture it's just a 'fake' approximation.

profile.country.GB.title
Yukkaspecial
Explorer

Right.  So that would be why I had to force it rather than it automatically change the format.  I knew that Sky weren't doing any HDR10 or HLG but thought the BBC iPlayer programmes were delivered differently.  It did look loads better when forcing HLG, and not just like turning on the Extended Dynamic Range option.  Forcing HDR10 made it look completely awful where HLG looked great which was what confused me.

profile.country.GB.title
Yukkaspecial
Explorer

My kd55xe9005 developed a fault and Sony upgraded it to a xf9005 under the extended warranty.