Join now - be part of our community!

Extended guarantee issues

Crankitup
Explorer

Extended guarantee issues

In July I bought myself a nice new Sony android television, my previous Sony is 8 years old and still working but I just wanted a new one. It came with a 6 year guarantee and I didn't realise this was through Sony themselves, had I known I probably wouldn't have bothered. I sent off the forms at the beginning of august, I should have received everything back within 30 days. I chased it up last week and was told someone would call me back. I received an email asking me to reply with a copy of my receipt and telling me that if I had any further questions to simply reply to that email. I asked for confirmation that they had received it OK....... No response. So I emailed again asking for an update and confirmation that they had received the receipt. Again no response. I've called again and all I get is that someone will call me back. I tried asking on Facebook and my posts are deleted. This guarantee has to be registered by the end of this month or I lose it and I will be on holiday in a few days with very little Internet access and it will be too late when I return. 

Has anyone else had similar issues with these guarantees? If I cannot get a response from Sony my next step is trading standards as at no point was it clear that the guarantee would be directly through the manufacturer. I certainly won't be dumb enough to buy anything Sony in the future

2 REPLIES 2
malcolm1962

Where did you buy it from?

I am in currently in dialogue with Currys Executive complaints team about the five year free warranty that came with my KD49X8309, purchased 4 weeks ago. Despite asking for details of this at point of sale and then again on at least six occasions via their Customer Service Centre and also with Sony itself, I have still to receive details / confirmation as to the T&Cs of this guarantee. I wrote in the end to the CEO of Dixons Carphone threatening to take the TV back under a breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and within 24 hours received a reply that stated the guarnatee was provided by Sony. I was promised confirmation from Sony by the end of last week, but I've still to receive anything. Its an absolute joke.

I'm on the verge of taking the thing back on the grounds of both this issue and also the lack of the advertised functionality of the TV. I pointed out to Currys that their website was still showing Summer 2015 for the YouView update, but they continue to advertise this. The trouble is Currys are not exactly known for making full refunds an easy process and the thought of having to packing up the TV to take it back to the shop is holding me back at the moment. I seriously regret not buying from JL now.

Crankitup
Explorer

It came from richer sounds. It's still on their website with a six year
guarantee and no mention that it's not with them. In fact their terms imply
it is through them. I found out after had bought it when they emailed me a
form to fill in and send to Sony for a five year guarantee. When I queried
it they said it was one year through them and five with Sony..... It seemed
petty to return it just for that so as I had already set it all up I
figured I would just have to suck it up. I filled it in, sent it off and
nothing. Since I posted on here this morning and again on Facebook they've
managed to reply to my last email but they're just asking the same
questions that I've already answered. So now I'm going to fill in the form