Join now - be part of our community!

External HDD won’t play files on other devices after plugging into Bravia TV

profile.country.GB.title
bigdazzler
Explorer

External HDD won’t play files on other devices after plugging into Bravia TV

I have 2 WD external drives with family photos, videos and movies stored on them. Always had a Samsung TV and never once had an issue watching any of the files via the usb and built in media player. Also have a western digital live media player that I use on other TVs and never had problems with that either. 

Just brought a 55” 4K smart Bravia, plugged the devices in to watch files with no problems. Plugged the devices into other makes of TV and now none of them, nor the WD media player recognise the files, all it shows are lots of android folders, lost.dir folders and a ton of google folders but no media files. So now the only way I have to watch these files are on my Bravia, which is very frustrating and extremely annoying. The guys at Sony customer support were also less than helpful.

I have tried deleting the lost.dir and android folders with no success, but I dont want to format the drives which was the only suggestion offered by Sony. Any serious alternatives would be appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you  register your hdd for recording when prompted?

profile.country.GB.title
bigdazzler
Explorer

Never got any kind of prompts, it took me straight to the media player to view files. And I’m not using the HDD to record anything, just to view files that were already on there 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just a thought. It seems like the hdd was formatted by the tv. And the player do not do this