Join now - be part of our community!

FreeSat No Picture- Sony KD-65XH9005

FreeSat No Picture- Sony KD-65XH9005

I have a brand new Sony KD-65XH9005  it has a Main and a Sub Sat tuner. It has built in FreeSat and when I set it up for Auto Tuning it finds about 180 stations. However if I got to view them the screen is black and it says no signal, plug in your Antenna. 

If I use General Sat and tune it into that. It finds 300+ stations. A lot of Sky and channels that are encrypted. BBC and channel 4, 5 etc are all missing. Things like DAve are there that work and I can see a picture. 

My question is what is wrong with the FreeSat that its picking up all the channels correctly, but there is no picture or sound and on Channel guide information either. Have I missed something 

Thanks in advance 

8 REPLIES 8

Its the LNB on the SAT Dish. It looks like it previously had one fitted for SKY Q which will need to be changed. 

profile.country.GB.title
Watkinsljgw
Explorer

Hi, I wonder if you can help. I have a Sony A90J with built in free sat, I have put a new lnb on the old sky q dish which finds 180+ channels with full signal and quality strength but then says no signal check antenna… the guide shows all the channels it’s found but no picture. Th LNB I purchased is free sat ready.

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Are you sure its a standard Sky Hd LNB, because sky Q ones wont work at all, The general behaviour is it will see the channels when tuning but wont let you watch them, FTA tuning, that gives you more channels but in no particular order and the ones viewable are mainly foreign channels.

I have a Hybrid LNB on mine, it can tune and view all Sky channels that are free, the standard is usually a quad LNB.

As for freesat theres nothing wrong with it its all working apart from a few BBC channel changes, i would suggest you recheck the LNB, where did you buy it, i ask because i know someone who bought an LNB on ebay cheap, apparently the post stated Freesat ready, however it did turn out to be a sky Q LNB.

The following LNB is a tried and tested Freesat LNB, works perfect and is very cheap, anyone looking to purchase one i would recommend this. -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/visiblewave-4-output-universal-quad-lnb/734gv

profile.country.GB.title
Watkinsljgw
Explorer

thanks for the reply.

It’s the below LNB I purchased from Amazon it say’s Freesat ready?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09GKZMWKM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Sorry buddy, tells you clearly on the LNB,  "Wideband LNB",  that means its a sky Q LNB im afraid,  remember i said that they still pick up freesat channels, but they would only be viewable by those with a sky Q box whos subscription has expired and have bought a freesat subscription from SKY.  i suggest returning it with the excuse the title is misleading as you actually needed a Sky HD LNB.  the one ive pointed you to at Screwfix would be perfect.

profile.country.GB.title
Watkinsljgw
Explorer

Okay thanks for all your help, I’ll purchase the one you’ve suggested.

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Its a good choice, easy to install, great signal and picture, and you can hook 4 devices up to it if ya wished and have freesat in ya bedrooms.

profile.country.GB.title
Watkinsljgw
Explorer

Bought and fitted this afternoon worked first time.

thanks for all your help