Join now - be part of our community!

How to output audio via RCA connection to a wireless headphone from an Android tvXG80

profile.country.GB.title
denyason
New

How to output audio via RCA connection to a wireless headphone from an Android tvXG80

i have 2 wireless headphones, one connected via headphone socket, other by rca connection.  my 10 year old Bravia tv worked with both but since upgrading to a new sony tv: XG8086 i'm struggling to get sound to my 2nd headphones via rca.  

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@denyason 

More details, please.

What make and model,are the headphones?

I’m presuming you are plugging some sort of sender into the TV for each pair. What, and how are they cabled, and precisely what terminations do they have that you are plugging into precisely which sockets on the TV?

As I can’t find where any RCA outs might be on this TV.

it would also be useful to know exactly how you are ‘having difficulty’. Silence? Too soft? Too loud? Buzzing? Only one channel? What?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
denyason
New

hi royabrown2

the headphones in question are Sony MDR-RF4000K connected to the tv using rca cable to phone plug for the transmitter.  the sennheiser is connected to the tv's audio out already.  

this identical setup worked with my old Bravia but not here.  thanks for the help in advance dennis

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

5@denyason 

You will have to bear in mind that while I understand the electrical side of all this, and have used wireless headphones - Sennheisers, as it happens - I don’t have either TV, or either set of headphones, so I will need you to be very specific about the connections.

OK, so I take it the Sennheiser setup is working? Maybe we can leave that out of the equation - though have you tried connecting the Sony transmitter and headphones on this connection to the TV, at least to ensure that everything is working?

But thanks for the Sony headphones model number, from which I have looked up the manual on the web. And I can see with the Sony headphones that you can use the supplied cable either way round - from RCA Outs on an audio source to the Line In on the headphone transmitter, or from mini jack out on the audio source to RCA ins on the headphone transmitter.

But I’m not sure which way you are trying it - ‘phone plug‘ may be a typo for ‘phono plug’, but RCAs are phono plugs, and there are two of them, and the thing on the other end is a minijack.

So if we can use that consistent terminology, it won’t be confusing.

However, the RCA connections on these TVs are inputs, not outputs, and this may be your problem. ‘Progress’ on modern TVs seems to mean progressively less analogue audio features 😢

I would suggest using a minijack splitter, 3.5mm Stereo, male to two female, of which Amazon offers many, in the £1-£5 region, and hoping that the Audio Out has enough welly to drive both sets of headphones.

Or failing this, an optical to analogue converter is about £10-£20, if you are not using the optical out for anything else.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
denyason
New

thank you royabrown.  i just realised my mistake when you said the rca connections is input not output- then had another look at the guide and indeed they're input- my total error and no wonder no sound.

thank you for resolving my problem.