Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XG8505 issues with dark scenes

profile.country.US.title
JakeTheDane
Explorer

KD-55XG8505 issues with dark scenes

So i just bought this KD-55XG8505 TV and i have noticed that dark scenes are impossible to get anything out of. You cant see anything except the few places that may be lit up during the scene. 

Also darker colors like dark blue, dark grays etc. completely blend in. As in fx a dark blue suit will loose all detail because it gets completely washed out?

I am unsure whether or not the screen may be faulty or not since the demo model i saw in the store was showing really nice blacks without any loss of detail. But it is absolutely unbearable to watch dark scenes and or colors on the unity i actually got.

Also i cant even have blacks on the screen, it just looks like a washed out light grey color most of the time and from most angles. Also all 4 corners of the screen has really bad backlight bleed a quarter of the way onto the screen. 

Can i fix this at home or should i return the tv for a replacement? Or get a refund all together because what i am seeing isnt worth the price i paid for it. 

I have tried adjusting the screen settings alot in a bunch of different ways but nothing seems to help

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I cannot say for sure if you are doing something wrong or not since you gave no detail of which parameter you are changing, but are you aware you bought an IPS panel? and it has only 1.200 contrast ratio? IPS panel are not famous for dark black the only advantage they have vs VA panel is that they have  a wider later vision...

Mine's is exactly the same. It is the worst picture I've ever had on any screen. I emailed a complaint but got told "tough - that's as good as it gets" or words to that effect.
Sony used to be a badge of quality. This TV is terrible and I'm passing the word to everyone I know that Sony knowingly sells inferior products.
The TV I was replacing after 10 years had a better picture than this piece of rubbish that not hangs on my wall.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You have to know in advance what you are looking for and what you are buying. The model you chose spot an IPS panel that has pros and cons. If you liked more a VA panel you should have asked for it and bought an XG95 instead.