Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65X9000F | Windows 10 | 5.1 Surround sound

profile.country.GB.title
rajthampi
Explorer

KD-65X9000F | Windows 10 | 5.1 Surround sound

Hi guys

I referred this thread https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/xd9305-surround-passthrough-not-working/td-p/2452138, hoping to find a solution for a minor annoyance I am facing with setting up 5.1 channel surround for the PC running Windows 10 1903 connected to my TV on HDMI port# 2 & my TV is connected to AVR on ARC.

While setting up the audio on windows, it does show me Sony TV as default audio output device & I can setup 5.1 speakers (minus I cannot test it). The issue is with the mode that I select on my ONKYO AVR. I am mostly use the "Direct" mode on the AVR and truly love the audio as it is designed. With the Sony TV as default audio output, unless I switch to Dolby ProLogic 2 or other, I can't really get any 5.1 surround from the PC, passed through the TV. I've made all the changes as mentioned in the link I have copied in the beginning of my thread, yet, 5.1 surround from PC is only available using one of the Dolby surround modes.

My TV is updated with Oreo & I think I have scavenged through almost all possible settings for Audio already. Please let me know whether I can achieve the intended by making some changes.

Side note: I can overcome this annoyance by connecting the PC straight away to AVR.

Thanks and regards,

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rajthampi
Explorer

Hi guys

I don't know how, somehow my PC =>Tv=>AVR & Direct Mode on the AVR setup is working as expected now. The only different between PC =>Tv=>AVAR & PC =>AVR setup is, Direct mode sounds much crispier while I connect the PC straight to AVR and AVR being connected to TV on ARC port.

For the 5.1, I followed the instructions provided with the thread mentioned in my initial post.

Thanks & Regards,

profile.country.GB.title
rajthampi
Explorer

Continuing with the experiments, I think I've hit the jackpot! I was trying to figure out why the Dolby-Atmos sample clips played from the PC that is connected to HDMI 2 port on the TV perfectly sends the audio channels to 5.1 surround when the MKV files with 6 channels were only managing to output stereo through the AVR.

I cross verified the MKV file(s) and the Dolby-Atmos sample clips and confirmed both were encoded with AC3-Dolby Digital, however the MKV files always played stereo.

The difference was, the sample files by default were played by the Windows "Movies & TV" app & the MKV files were played by VLC player!

Opening the MKV file(s) with Windows "Movies & TV" app was the solution for my long time frustrations. Hope this helps few others out there.

regards,