Join now - be part of our community!

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

AdKeyz
Explorer

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

Hi,

The Video app on my Sony TV (KD55S8505C) always stretches the image to fullscreen and there seems to be no way of changing this.

Pressing the action menu reveals an option for either "Expand" or "Fit to screen" but neither of these options change anything.

Playing the video with any other app, VLC or MX Player for example, the video will play correctly, however this is not an acceptable solution as you cannot enable 3D Mode with these apps (which is just plain rediculous) so to watch a 3D file I am forced to use Sony's own Video app and suffer the stretching which makes everything look awful and out of proportion.

Is there any fix for this or is it a known issue that will be resolved in a softaware update?

Thanks,

Adam.

Tags (4)
72 REPLIES 72

IMG_20160328_110459.jpgIMG_20160328_110459.jpgUnfortunately nothing. It's been escalated, and escalated. I've worked out the working version of Android Video App is : V:1.0.A.4.4 and the current faulty stretched aspect ratio is : V 1.0.A.5.16. Sony,please restore this working version in a simple firmware update,issue solved. And just to prove its absolutely nothing to to do with my media set up,I have attached 2 identical paused images from the film "Chappie"®™. The correct formatted 16:9 version is using Plex app from playstore, and the stretched using the Video app, I really do hope Sony start to listen,and give us the working update in a simple app OTA update. UPDATE: I was contacted today 12/⁴/16 by Sony support team, they informed me that there is a new update which may or may not fix my issue,if it did not fix it, the development team are aware and working hard on a fix. I installed the new update, it took around half an hour,so a failrly hefty one, i'm not sure what is was for or did as there's no visible change to TV menu,image etc? but it certainly hasn't fixed our Video app issues,still stretched I'm afraid to say. No information is available on support website in regards to the latest update,if anyone knows what it was for,please drop me a line/post. I really Cant believe technical department couldnt drop in the old video app in this recent firmware update, taking over 4 months now! Ive even supplied you with the working app version,a simple fix. Thank's for post Leebo, Unfortunately the menu is greyed out after pressing action menu on my KD55X8507/9 sets, so unfortunately, that wont fix it, tried already the first time,it only started after a November update.Fact.

Spoiler
:smileyhi::smileyshocked:

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

I've only just seen this thread, I have a workaround until the bug is fixed.

Start playing the film and then press Action Menu, go to the video section and select "Information", then press back. The film should now play in the correct ratio, I've got a KD-43X8305C and it works on that.

Good luck! :wink:

doomer87

Hello @TWLeebo, unluckily when playing videos which reside on network paths the "Information" menu entry is not present. Your workaround confirms that there is nothing new to implement, there is only the need for a stupid bugfix. But, despite the little work requested, Sony is ignoring us from months :angry: :angry:

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

@doomer87, ah, I'm playing via USB rather than over a network. Well, hopefully, as the workaround works for me, the bug fix won't be too far away :smileywink::smileythumbsup:

AdKeyz
Explorer

I had an update on my TV today and still no luck with this issue! Seriously Sony, how hard is it?

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

@RobbieRedDevil, that's weird, the video problem started for me after the Feb update, not the November one, but I suppose, that's quite normal for this range of TVs! Let's hope the next update fixes it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Are some of you able to do a little quick testing.  Any chance someone can test using Serviio ?

Files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haxizf82vy1qqqe/AspectRatioTestFiles.rar?dl=0

Please let me know the following:

• What DLNA server (software/hardware) are you using?
  • Was the aspect ratio correct or not?
  • Are there options to change screen settings in action menu (i.e. expand, fit to screen).
  • What model TV ?  (information i have is that its only effecting 4k models, even though software versions are identical)

Cheers

Hello,

I have tested all 3 files using SERVIIO media server,through the Video app only.

1. 1920x1080 results are no options are visible after selecting the action followed by settings option, it takes me straight to the General screen which displays show last played video category.

2. 1920x800 results display the EXPAND option this time, however no aspect ratio changes once pressed,"FIT" is displayed,however switching to and fro alters nothing,aspect ratio stays stretched.

3. 720x576 results displays the very same as option 2 above.

hope this has clarified your testing in some way?

MODEL TV USED: KD55X507C and 55X509C - Fault is on both sets.

PC hardware: Apple Imac 2016 i7,i5 Samsung X900Ultrabook 8GB DDR (Windows 7) & a Windows i5 home build Windows 10 32gb ram PC.  This issue occurs using all 3 machines using any media server running through the TV's Video app.  If I use any other media player which ive downloaded from the Playstore onto the Sony 4K sets, aspect ratio is perferctly correct, it only ever occurs using on board "Video" app.

Kindest regards,

Robbie.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

In Italy, some users that claim the very same problem wrote that after selecting from Action menu FIT nothing happens but if you press again Action Menu and press now Info you get the right ratio.... may you try?

Hello, and thanks for the post,

I have tried what you have suggested:

In Italy, some users that claim the very same problem wrote that after selecting from Action menu FIT nothing happens but if you press again Action Menu and press now Info you get the right ratio.... may you try?

Unfortunately my issues with stretched aspect ratios remain, appreciate your effort though.