Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix dropping centre channel on 5.1 content XD9305

profile.country.GB.title
Ajwtucker
Explorer

Netflix dropping centre channel on 5.1 content XD9305

I have a KD55XD9305 connected to a Sony STR-DN1050 receiver via ARC, and this setup has worked well for 3 years now. 

However, I've recently started experiencing a frustrating issue with the Netflix application (all other sources/content seem unaffected). If the content has 5.1 audio, it will work well for a few minutes and then the centre channel (and only the centre channel) will drop out. 

I've tried restarting the TV and the receiver, but this doesn't seem to do anything. If I try watching the same content again, the centre channel drops out at exactly the same point. 

I then have to manually force Netflix onto 2.0 audio in order to hear the dialogue. 

This never started happening until a few weeks ago, and as I've written it only seems to affect the Netflix app. Amazon Prime Video, Blurays etc. are fine. 

I've tried feeding both compressed audio and uncompressed PCM to the receiver but this doesn't seem to have any effect. 

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I'm looking into this and will update the thread when I have an answer.

In the meantime, perhaps another member of the community may be able to advise. 

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi Ajwtucker, 

This is very strange! Does this affect any programme on Netflix? In the meantime, I'll try to look into this for you online.

Regards,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
Ajwtucker
Explorer

It's pretty much anything with a 5.1 channel soundtrack. Last night I was watching some episodes of Brooklyn Nine Nine S3 and it was pretty much consistently dropping the centre channel in the first 20 seconds of each episode. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ajwtucker
Explorer

I think I might have managed to fix this by myself. 

Earlier this evening, I delved into the settings and deleted the Netflix application data. Since then, the centre channel has remained present and correct. 

Hopefully that's the end of it. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ajwtucker
Explorer

I spoke too soon. It's started happening again. 

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be very gratefully received.

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi Ajwtucker, 

I'd suggest that you try to factory reset the TV and check if the same issue remains: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00170595

Let us know if this makes any difference,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
Ajwtucker
Explorer

So a month down the line, I've tried a few things. 

- Complete factory reset of TV. Made no difference

- Changed the audio from ARC to optical. I thought this had fixed it, bit unfortunately the issue remains. 

- I've also noticed this happening occasionally on the Amazon Prime Video app in addition to Netflix. 

I'm now at a complete loss to understand what's happening. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ajwtucker
Explorer

I've narrowed this down now, and I don't believe there's a fault with the TV at all. 

I've just experienced the centre channel dropout while watching a DVD, which leads me to believe the fault lies somewhere with my AV receiver.