Join now - be part of our community!

Real WiFi AC throughput on KD-55XE9005

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

Real WiFi AC throughput on KD-55XE9005

Hi all,

I decided to test what is the real network throughput on TV KD-55XE9005 (latest firmware) when connected to WiFi access point via AC standart. My network/environment setup looks like this: router TP-LINK Archer C7 v2 (latest firmware, hidden behind TV. basically, no long distances, walls, etc.), Synology NAS DS716+ connected to the router via 1 Gbps NIC and TV KD-55XE9005 conected to WiFi via AC standart. I've installed an application "IP tools" to my TV and I see, that "Signal: 100% (-48 dBm)" and "Speed: 866 Mbps". Looks like pretty good conditions for testing, right? :slight_smile:

For testing purposes I decided to transfer a 3,4 Gb file using "ES File Explorer" from NAS to internal TV memory. I was able to achieve maximum ~20 MB/s (or about ~170 Mbps). Since TV is connected to WiFi via AC standart, I expected much better results. What do you think, where is the bottleneck? Maybe it's a slow memory inside TV? Maybe it's WiFi AC adapter on TV? Did you try to test what is the transfer speed on your XE90 series TV and how did you test? Finally, maybe do you have better ideas how can I test internal network throughput between TV and NAS? I've tried an application "analiti", but it's measuring the speed between TV and internet (not local LAN), what is not exactly what I need.

It would be interesting, if you make similar test (like AC WiFi, Sony XE90 series TV) and share your results :slight_smile:

By the way, for testing purposes I decided to check, what is network throughput between NAS and my laptop, connected to the same WiFi via AC standart. I was able to achieve ~55MB/s speed (or ~500 Mbps).

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You have to scroll down in the "Devices" window to the right.

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

For some reason AIDA64 on my TV doesn't show such details as you see on your TV. I see only a parameters of device "VULKAN DEVICE - Mali-T860" and that's all. Pretty weird...

profile.country.GB.title
modas2017
Explorer

Hi,

I've tried to figure out by registering a support ticket, what is the real network throughtput when TV is connected via WiFi AC standard. Support answer was like a joke: "In reference to enquiry about your Sony KD-55XE9005, after further investigation, we are sorry to inform you that this information cannot be disclosed, however what can be confirmed is that the TV has enough speed to watch 4K HDR content."

According to document , it's impossible to reach a speed even guaranteed by WiFi N standard (300 Mbps). It's like you buy a Ferrary, which max speed in specifications is 340 km/h, but some compenent is limiting it's speed and you can reach only 150 km/h. IMHO customer should get that that device, which he was choosing based on it's specifications.

Now I've registered a complaint in European Consumer Protection Organisation (ECC-Net) and I have reasonable expectations, that Sony will be forced to change TV components or return money to the customers.

I can keep you updated if you want to :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Why do you think the answer from Sony was a joke? You didn't buy a pc but a tv set that is supposed to be able to stream video data not files. And 100mbps supported by the Ethernet port is well above the bitstream you may be able to use in real world lan streaming let alone internet streaming services (Netflix hdr videos need 15 mbps). The same apply obviously to Wi-Fi with the limitation of wireless technology and interferences. So you complain because you don't have 300 mbps on your tv...but to stream what?