Join now - be part of our community!

SONY AG9, Media Player, playing content stored on a PC

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

SONY AG9, Media Player, playing content stored on a PC

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 65" AG9. I have a range of media stored on my PC and played the content to my old Sony via a Trongle KODI box.

(Kodi box used a SMB connection to a shared location on the PC and output the content to the TV).

I've had many problems with the Kodi box and want to replace it. 

Can anyone give me basics please on how best I can play the content direct to the AG9 that is stored on my AG9? If I switch between inputs there is a standard media player which seems really basic.

Through the Google Store I downloaded VLC and this connected very easily to my PC using SMB - although the interface doesn't seem as a sophisticated as Kodi.

I'm a lost as to what is best to do. Do I need to install a DNLA on the PC? VLC seems to be working with standard streaming enabled on Windows 10.

Should I used the 'standard' AG9 media player? What are you using? Should I download Kodi from the Android store?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers

Nick

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Limited is very nice word for what it is.

I never used that over a network much but I know that on local drives it scans and then shows all media all the time. There's no tree view so even if you have your content organized all you get is a 46398793 thumbnails on the screen. Or more.

The best way to use that player is to actually select file in some file manager and then open it with default player.

The player on non android TVs is better since it supports tree view.

I that changed in oreo or now pie, than my apologies for wrong info.

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Many thanks, that was my impression from the very quick look I had at it but I just wanted to check that I hadn't missed something and that there wasn't some reason I should be using it instead!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Via DLNA the stock player rely on the server for organizing the display and it works fine (I use serviio and you have different view like folder structure and various views based on movie metadata). In any case the way it renders any video/audio is the best compared to other player. But on usability there are far better option (I prefer Nova Player BTW)

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Thanks for the explanation - that kind of makes sense now. Without installing any DNLA I was able to 'read' the media from my PC, I presume this is possible because simple media sharing is enabled in Win10 so it's acting as a very basic DNLA.

I didn't appreciate that the server side software (serviio for example) impacts how the media is displayed by the standard Media Player, etc.

I'll take a look at the different options, I had seen reference to Serviio being recommended as a free DNLA.

Cheers

Nick

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That's the way DLNA works. And yes windows has its own very basic dlna server. Serviio is among the best. And the free version is enough for most usage