Join now - be part of our community!

Sony do not include USB-to-ethernet device support on their OLED tvs?

Sony do not include USB-to-ethernet device support on their OLED tvs?

I have a need for a gigabit ethernet wired connection on an AF9, unfortunately it appears Sony did not include the driver-stack for USB-to-Ethernet devices thus such devices to not work when plugged into any of the USB ports.

If the TV was rootable, adding the drivers is a fairly trivial task as they have been around for years.

So I ask, please could Sony add support for USB-to-ethernet devices in the next Android update for AF9?

At this time I am contemplating returning this TV to John Lewis and purchasing a competing brand (LG) who supposedly DO support USB-to-ethernet devices.

Although this is the community, I hope Sony take notice of this terrible judgement to not include the driver stack in their TVs, have read quite a few posts across the internet where people simply returned their TVs because of lack of ability to get a high bandwidth connection to their tv due to wifi speed issues. Indeed the onboard 100mb ethernet connection is just too underwhelming and incapable of handling high-bandwidth 4k material.

I do realise it is possible to use another device to simply plug into HDMI and completely not use Android in the Sony TV itself, but this really does defeat the purpose of paying for a 'Smart TV'.

Tags (4)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Out of curiosity is this on Pie? 

I tried my usb lan adaptor on the latest pre xmas oreo update on my Xf90 in case the drivers had appeared but no luck, but wondered if Pie offered any hope (if it ever came to my TV)

I've now got my TV's lan connection  working at 70-75 Mbps by changing the leads and swapping the switch it was connected to so its now at least OK for Internet streaming