Join now - be part of our community!

USB write permission

SOLVED
DSLR13
Explorer

USB write permission

Hello to All

I found this forum while seaching the net for help and did a quick search. Although I did not see an answer for my problem I did see a lot of insightful/knowledgable answer to other question.

The problem:  Only have "read" rights to HDD from computer over wifi.

Background:  HDD is plugged into the USB of my new KDL50W800C and holds media which I play using Kodi. I have installed ES File Explore/Manager and used it to set up remote manage over wifi with my MacBookPro (MBP). 

I can see and access the HDD (as a folder on the TV) however I only have "read" not "read/write"  rights. I've tried a few things but cannot amend the rights to read/write, any ideals?

On my older Sony I had the HDD plugged into my Airport Extreme (wireless router) and ran my content using Plex (server on MBP, and clinet was a node off an AppleTv). On the new Sony I thought with Kodi I could let the TV pull the content directly from the HDD attached to the Airport router. However Android will not read the Mac file format off the HDD and the Airport does not support exFat. So I ended up plugging a second HDD formated as exfat directly into the TV. 

This works fine and Kodi runs like a charm.  It's not the end of the world if I can't gain read/write as I can unplug the HDD from the tv and plug it into the MBP to do the update. Now it's more a matter of intrest.

Thank you

Dan

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DSLR13
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks the the reply and the info. I've been meaning to follow up here as I did find a work around using Kodi (which I use as my media app). It also has a file manager and does have SAMBA (SMB) file sharing capabilities. So I am able to copy/more files from the MBP to the usb using Kodi.

Perhaps this may help other that have a similer setup.

Thanks again for your reply.

Dan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

From what i understand is that you want to access files from a USB drive plugged into your TV over your network. Im not sure if this is possible to be honest as android does not have full SAMBA (SMB) file sharing capabilities - well there are some apps in the play store, but they require root access to Android itself.

Ive had a bit of a tinker and ES file explorer helps as i can copy files to the TVs internal memory, but cannot do so for USB.

Cheers

DSLR13
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks the the reply and the info. I've been meaning to follow up here as I did find a work around using Kodi (which I use as my media app). It also has a file manager and does have SAMBA (SMB) file sharing capabilities. So I am able to copy/more files from the MBP to the usb using Kodi.

Perhaps this may help other that have a similer setup.

Thanks again for your reply.

Dan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - thanks for posting that info.  May just help others.  Have fun :slight_smile:

profile.country.AE.title
mashra
Explorer

Sony's android TV platform does not allow external storage write permission.

This is set in android itself. So if anybody is suffering to find a workaround the only way is to remove the attached USB storage and write to it elsewhere.

If sony reads this formum posts perhaps they will losten to our needs and release an update granting this permission.

profile.country.AE.title
mashra
Explorer

Sony doesn't read forum. And for the mentioned android TVs i dont believe they will ever release any updat. TVs sony is making are on top of sales becaise unlike others they are the one of few(and phillips)offering Android platform. But their TVs are with many software bugs which they somply dont fix