Join now - be part of our community!

VP9-Profile 2

profile.country.GB.title
Shkity

VP9-Profile 2

Hey All,

Does anyone know which models support VP9-profile 2. I have the KD-49XD8305 but can't find out for sure anywhere.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Currently no Sony TV does it due to software limitations which is a total shame. A Google platform can't decode VP9.2...

From a hardware point of view, it looks as follows...

There are 2 Sony Android TV HW platforms:

ATV1: all 2015 models, early 2016 models (like the XD85/XD93)

ATV2: models after mid-2016 (XD75/XD80/XD83,...), all 2017 models (E)

You are lucky. Yours is an ATV2 so you might get VP9.2 at one point in time.

profile.country.GB.title
Shkity

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Its bull***** all this stuff is so complicated, why cant thinks be simple.

profile.country.GB.title
Shkity

Just thinking isnt VP9 Profile 2 needed for You Tube HDR, isn't you tube owned by Google. Why would they not support their own platform?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes, YouTube and Android TV are both Google, and yes, YouTube HDR uses the VP9.2 codec.

VP9.2 is currently not supported on any Android TV device as Android TV is mainly deployed on cheap devices from the Far East. And Sony/MediaTek can't get their own act together. Both really bad Android TV integrators.

Competing TV platforms from Samsung and LG can play YouTube HDR/VP9.2. Both are not using Google's OS. That pretty much tells you how significant this Android TV is. It is worth nothing...

profile.country.GB.title
Shkity

Brilliant

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

VP9.2 is currently not supported on any Android TV device 

Wait! Not even the Nvidia Shield supports it, yet?! So it could still be the app??

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The SHIELD does not even have VP9.2 HW. They however could do it in SW on the massive CPU/GPU.

As I wrote on another thread, Xiaomi is allegedly working on support for their Mi Box with the upcoming Nougat FW. Then we will know whether it is the app or the drivers.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Huh.. So the mythical Nvidia didn't even bother to implement the SW decoders for vp9.2? Not that Apple is in a different boat, right now. Actually the Apple TV 4K doesn't currently support vp9 at all (losing most of the content in 4K). Same for macOS (although the vp9 video play on Chrome at 4K, killing my MacBook Pro i5 CPU).

Well, let's see what will happen with this Mi Box. Because at this point the only Android devices playing YouTube in UHD HDR are the Chromecast Ultra. I have read Google had to turn down the resolution on mobile with HDR because.. the videos were stuttering!