Join now - be part of our community!

XG9005 Horrendous Netflix UHD HDR

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

XG9005 Horrendous Netflix UHD HDR

Netflix is so so bad & dark on my Sony XG9005

i will be going back to other sources because I can actually see what is going on and some actual daylight 

Slightly fuzzy HD is a massive step up to what they have. 

side by side comparison with 4 other sources of Ozark season 3 results in the onboard Netflix UHD HDR App coming in a comfortable last. 

if there is any solution to this I’d love to know but the picture settings limitations are proving that it’s impossible to fix. 

id love to see what happens when my Sky Q box gets HDR to see if it darkens every scene. 

this is such a massive disappointment. 
I want a refund on my Sony KD49XG9005 TV.

im so upset with it. The reviewers all lied I did my research diligently and got shafted royaly by Sony this is my 7th Sony in a row and by far the worst of them all. 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

without even tellin' a thing about picture settings.........

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

Tried everything with picture settings and I mean everything. Every configuration.

Ozark is still so so dark especially in a side by side comparison with the same scenes on my sky Q box. 

the limited picture settings on the Netflix app is abysmal and the non hdr sky q Netflix picture isn’t as sharp but it so much brighter. 

I want the pin sharp HDR App quality and the brightness that comes from the q box picture.

why can I do so much more with the settings when the source is different? 
the app options are so limiting.

can someone tell me what are the best picture settings for Netflix on my tv and if this brings the brightness needed on Ozark. 

I will be so tempted to rewatch if I could get this fixed. 

I would love it if someone from Sony or Netflix actually trawled these forums to give a response well apologise for the horrendous job they did. 

I suspect it’s the TV, therefore Sony’s fault.

help me!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Miltonmaid
Explorer

I have the XG9005 and I have the same dul/dark pictures on Netflix HDR, at times its terrible. Like many others I have searched the internet for a solution and it's obvious this problem is affecting sets from all manufacturers. So the problem must be from the Service provider Netflix. I get a lovely HDR picture in HDR on Amazon Prime so I thought I would compare the settings between Netflix and Amazon Prime in HDR.

Firstly Netflix doesn't allow you to change any  picture settings  to Picture Mode, Auto Picture Mode and the Light Sensor.

Secondly The Brightness  on Amazon is on Maximum compared to 35 on Netflix, and the colour is 60 on Amazon and 50 on Netflix. The settings I can adjust on Netflix I have made but have little effect on the picture, leaving me to think rightly or wrongly is the answer in the Picture Mode Setting which I can't change. Or is it just Netflix who need to change something with their signal in HDR. If Amazon Prime can do it why can't Netflix.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I've not checked myself but if the brightness is not max it's not HDR, or if it is HDR and somehow not max then that's the issue - presumably something in the netflix app

profile.country.GB.title
Miltonmaid
Explorer

I have been doing a bit more research into the dull,grey,dark picturesin HDR on my XG9005 tv,  having tried to tweek all the settings without any success I can't get the picture much brighter. However I was not aware of the signal from Netflix in HDR is known as "Netflix Calibrated Mode"  which are a preset  selection of picture settings that Netflix says gets the best out of all of its content. It would appear that this feature greys out most of your settings preventing you from adjusting the picture settings to your own preferences rather than Netflix thinks you ought to view it.

On some of the latest Sony sets you can switch this feature off and adjust the TV to your own liking.

So the answer to all of this is back in the hands of Sony. Its just a simple software update to add a feature to allow you to switch this HDR feature on and off as you can with the XBR X950G, XBR A9G, and XBR Z9G A9F and XBR Z9F Series. This information can be found in Sony Article ID : 00201472 / Last Modified : 08/20/2019.  To switch this Netflix feature off/on. 

Hopefully someone at Sony may have read all these posts about the horrendous dull pictures with HDR not just on certain Android tv sets but throughout the forums which complain of this same  problem. Sony have provided us with a Netflix Button but no facility to be able to control Netflix through any settings menu or feature. 

I purchased this set because of it being the right size 49 inch for our room and the Full Array feature.But have already had my TV changed because of the poor lightbleed problem and now have to put up with this Picture on Netflix, so come on Sony get this problem sorted.