Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube HDR... finally

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube HDR... finally

YouTube HDR content is finally available!

You will find a playlist here. However, these clips will be played as SDR on Sonys for now.

With youtube-dl you can find vp9.2 encodings for those clips:

330          webm       256x144    144p60  156k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 2.38MiB
331          webm       426x240    240p60  256k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 3.87MiB
332          webm       640x360    360p60  485k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 7.35MiB
333          webm       854x480    480p60  909k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 13.83MiB
334          webm       1280x720   720p60 1991k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 28.18MiB
335          webm       1920x1080  1080p60 3201k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 49.70MiB
336          webm       2560x1440  1440p60 11166k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 170.23MiB
337          webm       3840x2160  2160p60 20122k , vp9.2, 60fps, video only, 335.45MiB

Those are webm however which the native Video app won't play.

We will see whether we will get support for it soon, even for the early 2016 models with the old MediaTek SoC from last year. At least Sony promised that back at CES:

Spoiler
YouTube will also start streaming in HDR quality later this year, using a new VP9-Profile 2 codec that brings HDR support to Google’s VP9 video format. Sony’s Motoi Kawamura, Head of TV Product Planning for Sony Europe, confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that the 2016 models will support VP9-Profile 2 and be capable of streaming YouTube in HDR. We saw a demo at CES and it looked very good.

Source

401 REPLIES 401
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Paper is patient as we use to say. Reality looks quite a bit different. Wikipedia tells a different story too:

• Amlogic S905X - Similar to S905 except it supports up to 4K@60fps VP9 profile-2 hardware decoding, HDR, HDMI 2.0a and having a built-in DAC.

S905X, as built into the Xiami Mi Box, seems the only AMLogic chip that can do VP9.2 and HDR.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh yeah, stupid me. I had the Wikipedia page for the Amlogic SoCs open and I missed the comparison table. So that's what it says about the most recent Amlogic SoCs:

• H.265 4K MP-10@L5.1 60fps,VP9 4K profile 2 60fps,
  • H.264 4K HP@L5.1 30fps(AVC) 60fps(MVC)

The one in the H96 PRO Plus uses an Amlogic S912 (8 cores. Antutu reached 45K in a benchmark) instead. At least so it says in here. Actually that site is pretty good, the specs for the products are quite meaningful. 

I am just impressed that in there and Amazon the reviews are above 4.5 stars out of 5. Sure that's far aways from what I would give to the SW part of these Bravia TVs..

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

AFAIK, there is no support for S912 anymore. Firmware is flaky as hell and it probably does not deliver on the HW specs. You might also want to read here.

profile.country.GB.title
YuuZero
Explorer

Ah, I see I am not the only person with youtube not playing in HDR. I have XE8505 TV from year 2017. And Sony promised that they would support YouTube HDR but I guess Sony lied. So I bough chromecast ultra and it's playing YouTube in HDR format just fine. I don't understand why I even did bother buying android TV if they can't even support youtube HDR. Samsung and LG already support it. I don't know if it's Sony fault or Google. I hope that Sony or Google will get YouTube HDR working soon, better this year because I brought the chromecast ultra back to the store its expensive and somehow its weird to have two chromecast in your network.
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Xiaomi is allegedly working on YouTube HDR support for their Mi Box with the upcoming Nougat firmware. I pretty much assume that the YouTube app relies on the new Nougat HDR APIs which the Sony/MediaTek firmware currently does not support. It currently handles HDR implicitly which means that if you feed it HDR content, it might properly play it back. But via Nougat APIs, the TVs probably still pretend not to support the HDR profiles. That's probably the reason why the YouTube player does not try play HDR streams back.

profile.country.GB.title
YuuZero
Explorer

then let's hope that sony will get it working on our TVs. I already have nougat on my TV.
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

AFAIK, there is no support for S912 anymore. Firmware is flaky as hell and it probably does not deliver on the HW specs. You might also want to read here.

I am a bit surprised. Because it has been updated to 7.1.2. As i don't understand the high customer ratings at this point. But sure, the Kodi devs know better. They have put Amlogic devices together with the Sony Bravia in the list of broken firmwares in another thread.

Again, not that I am interested on buying one. I ended up on it looking for the Apple TV 4K in Amazon (yeah, now I know. The Apple TV isn't in Amazon as much as Amazon Prime isn;t on Apple TV. Hopefully the big companies will end soon these farces..).

Still, not even the Apple TV supports (natively) Hi-Res audio. There is the Infuse app that does it, though. But only the Premium version and althoguh it's cheap (6 or 7 euro) it's a subscription. As I don't know if YouTube plays on HDR either. Well, it is (officially) be out today, so it will be interesting to know. No, actually some reviews are out already. And it does not support YouTube HDR either.  I can't find if it supports VP9.2 at all.

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Xiaomi is allegedly working on YouTube HDR support for their Mi Box with the upcoming Nougat firmware. I pretty much assume that the YouTube app relies on the new Nougat HDR APIs which the Sony/MediaTek firmware currently does not support. It currently handles HDR implicitly which means that if you feed it HDR content, it might properly play it back. But via Nougat APIs, the TVs probably still pretend not to support the HDR profiles. That's probably the reason why the YouTube player does not try play HDR streams back.

So the IEC APIs are broken. The HDR APIs are broken. Hopefully Mediatek will have this nightmare fixed (in all Bravia) once Android 7.0 for ATV1 will be out!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Again, not that I am interested on buying one. I ended up on it looking for the Apple TV 4K in Amazon (yeah, now I know. The Apple TV isn't in Amazon as much as Amazon Prime isn;t on Apple TV. Hopefully the big companies will end soon these farces..).

Already happening. Prime Video is coming to Apple TV this year.

No, actually some reviews are out already. And it does not support YouTube HDR either.  I can't find if it supports VP9.2 at all.

Indeed the Apple TV 4K does not support any kind of VP9. So no YouTube 2160p60 and no YouTube HDR. I think there are 4K AVC DASH streams @ 30fps on YouTube. YouTube without VP9 probably won't yield the best experience. I am sure they could do VP9 on their massive CPU/GPU. I don't think this will happen though.

So the IEC APIs are broken. The HDR APIs are broken. Hopefully Mediatek will have this nightmare fixed (in all Bravia) once Android 7.0 for ATV1 will be out!

MediaTek is indeed a nightmare. They have a long history in phones too of not fixing major issues, not releasing drivers under GPL, stopping support after 1-2 Android iterations. We will see how this goes on. I will never ever buy any device powered by MediaTek again.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

MediaTek is indeed a nightmare. They have a long history in phones too of not fixing major issues, not releasing drivers under GPL, stopping support after 1-2 Android iterations. We will see how this goes on. I will never ever buy any device powered by MediaTek again.

Yup. That's  what I promised myself. Actually I promised not to buy any Android device without a Qualcomm SoC. And here we are.. Luckily I have been not stupid that time to but the Xperia XA and I have got the Xperia X Compact instead. It's very true that we get what we pay for. Well, in this case what Sony paid for, those A1 Oled are frigging expensive!!

PS: Yeah, I knew about Amazon Prime coming on Apple TV. It's just the general trend that's "a bit".. disappointing. It feels quite against the rules of the free market. Oh, and VP9 not supported on Apple TV is a total bummer. I'll keep hoping in a miracle from Sony (kicking the b... of Mediatek), then.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

LOL.

it's such an awesome app isn't it? The best.