Join now - be part of our community!

Copying videos to camera

profile.country.GB.title
AlanJD
Explorer

Copying videos to camera

Is it possible to copy videos BACK to the camera?  I exported some as mp4 files but now want them back so they can be shown on TV using an HDMI cable from the camera.

I can see that a file saved on the computer can be sent back using PlayMemories Home but is there a way of getting the exported mp4 file back where PlayMemories Home can recognise it?   I'm happy to use software to convert mp4 files into some other type of format.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @AlanJD,

well, as long as the videos which you're copying back to the camera use the exact (!!!) format of those videos taken by the camera it might be possible (no guarantee whatsoever). In case you did any editing to the video(s), I'm rather sure that it won't work because editing means that you're altering at least some of the internal marks/information which may be important/necessary for the camera.

Anyhow, in case you're going to try it you'll definitely need to rebuild the camera's database after you've copied your movies from the PC to the camera. Otherwise your camera won't "see" those movies. If after a database repair/rebuilt the camera still does not see your movies, they're simply having the wrong format and/or are missing important internal information.

Well, at least it's a camera and not a video recorder, sorry. Don't you have any other way to show your videos on TV?

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
AlanJD
Explorer

Thanks @darkframe.  The ultimate aim is to copy video back to the camera to watch in hotel rooms where the best alternative is a shopping channel in the local language. 

I will need to experiment with an empty SD card to see what can be done.  It seems better to start from something which was originally recorded on the camera and then when/if it works the real video can be converted to the same format.  (I know some TVs have a USB input but I imagine there isn't a common codec/container which plays on all brands.)    

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @AlanJD,

@AlanJD@  wrote:

The ultimate aim is to copy video back to the camera to watch in hotel rooms where the best alternative is a shopping channel in the local language. 

Oh, I definitely see your point :laughing: 

I will need to experiment with an empty SD card to see what can be done.  It seems better to start from something which was originally recorded on the camera and then when/if it works the real video can be converted to the same format.

Well, I've never tried it and I actually do not believe that it'll work for some simple reason. As said, you've got to rebuild the camera's database after having copied a movie to the SD card. I bet that the software routine behind that "rebuild database" command is looking for several so-called meta tags within the file. And there are several of them, starting with the camera model and build and many many more. I guess that even if only one is missing the camera won't accept the movie. Additionally I don't see any way to sort of "inject" the necessary tags into a movie file. However, maybe you'll get it working. In that case I'd like to ask you to post your solution here. In the best case it'll work without any problem, in the worst case you'll be spending hours and end up with no solution.

If you're running into the hotel room situation frequently I'd rather recommend buying a tablet (a cheap one does it for this purpose) which has got a slot for SD cards. Yes, that's another gadget to be taken with you but it would be a simple solution.

Anyhow I'm curious of whether it'll be working for you. Keeping fingers crossed!

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
AlanJD
Explorer

An update:  I failed to move files I had created back to the camera, but could copy camera-created files away and back again.  Eventually realised that my Android phone (but not my tablet) supports MHL so buying a (very cheap) MHL Micro USB to HDMI Cable Adapter from ebay let me mirror the phone display on hotel TVs.

I feel there must be something to create files close enough to BluRay format to fool the camera but I've stopped wasting my time looking for it.