Join now - be part of our community!

Motor Noise on Zoom in movie mode in Compacts.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

Motor Noise on Zoom in movie mode in Compacts.

Hello,

I have a Cybershot DSC-HX5V.

I'm very pleased with the pictures in both still and movie modes.

However I'm really disapointed at the motor noise from the zoom which is heard whenever it's used in movie mode.

Sony Customer Information Centre have responded -

I understand you have a query about the zoom lens motor noise during recording of movies. We are constantly working to reduce all noise levels and improve features on all our products, so yes the zoom noise will be scaled down as much as possible on newer products, however it may not be possible to eliminate this in rare cases.

To which I asked -

You say that "yes the zoom noise will be scaled down as much as possible on newer products,"

Can you please tell me if this would be noticeably less than on my current camera and which compact camera in your range has the quietest zoom motor noise?

They then told me that -

Nearly all of our cameras have a silent or minimal noise zoom function in our current range, however we do not keep specifications on zoom noise levels so it is not possible to state which one is the quietist.

Do others have this problem and do newer cameras have the same noise problem?

I also have to agree with others that wind noise can be a problem. However it's the zoom motor that's the worst issue as it effects every movie.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

The biggest issue with any manufacturer would be the decision to include additional information such as this mainly because by the time it filters down to a sales level, it gets distorted and often ends up being misunderstood. Not sure what the official reason is but IF you look at sales as a whole, when you go to buy a product, something like this is not a frequent question. Normally it is "How many megapixels is it?" or "What is the largest memory card I can use?". Then from a manufactuers point of view, if they advertise it on their site not everyone will follow suit so a bit touch and go in that respect.

Now motors have been around for a long time but kind of not really been improved as there is not much to improve on so then on to sound dampening which ends up taking space or ends up bumping the camera up in price which in turn makes it more expensive to buy. Most likely the newer models will be better. Some even have a sensitivity function but for the life of me, cannot remember a model which has this.

Best thing I would say is in the future, have a little cheap 1gb card which you take along to stores, maybe try out a camera and then take the card home to listen back to and see what you can pick up. Might be easier to review. There are other options of looking at a slightly larger camera which in theory should not suffer from this but also has the benefit such as the NEX range of taking an external microphone so giving you better sound and more likely than not, no mechanical noise.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I have had this on previous non Sony branded products cameras. Canon had this on their Powershot range and sadly, it is price we are paying for smaller and smaller products where the microphone is being put closer and closer to other mechanical components.

Most manufacturers and I assume Sony are doing everything they can to reduce how much noise is recorded but it is hard to do. The worst I have had was the microphone being less than a centimeter away from the record button so the start and end of every movie I recorded had a very distinct click which got annoying so had to record extra at the start and end.

Now the problem comes into how do you prevent this from happening in a future purchase. Very difficult since trying to test models out in stores is tricky as it is too noisy to pick up on and the option of buying a product, testing it at home then returning it if it is bad ends up being really long winded. No manufacturer I know would mention in their range which would have the quietest zoom since from a sales point of view, very few customers really bother asking about this since they have the idea that bigger is better when being sold something.

In the long run, I have not found any solid way of removing this noise or counteracting that so I am sorry to say in that sense, I am not sure there is a lot that can be done. Even sending it in for a service or inspection may just yet returned advising the product is working within spec.

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

I rater thought that would be the situation.

I recently had a Canon demonstrated to me while I was on holiday (it was in a duty free shop) and the salesperson insisted that Canon had no noise problems. I did record some movie in the shop and couldn't hear anything on playback, but that was in the shop. I didn't buy as I wanted to see what was available back home in the UK first.

It's strange that manufacturers don't publish figures on this, as I would have thought that it would be a good selling point for someone to have a low zoom motor noise on their compacts.

I wonder if we shall hear from anyone with newer models and if they can say if zoom motor noise is an issue?

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

The biggest issue with any manufacturer would be the decision to include additional information such as this mainly because by the time it filters down to a sales level, it gets distorted and often ends up being misunderstood. Not sure what the official reason is but IF you look at sales as a whole, when you go to buy a product, something like this is not a frequent question. Normally it is "How many megapixels is it?" or "What is the largest memory card I can use?". Then from a manufactuers point of view, if they advertise it on their site not everyone will follow suit so a bit touch and go in that respect.

Now motors have been around for a long time but kind of not really been improved as there is not much to improve on so then on to sound dampening which ends up taking space or ends up bumping the camera up in price which in turn makes it more expensive to buy. Most likely the newer models will be better. Some even have a sensitivity function but for the life of me, cannot remember a model which has this.

Best thing I would say is in the future, have a little cheap 1gb card which you take along to stores, maybe try out a camera and then take the card home to listen back to and see what you can pick up. Might be easier to review. There are other options of looking at a slightly larger camera which in theory should not suffer from this but also has the benefit such as the NEX range of taking an external microphone so giving you better sound and more likely than not, no mechanical noise.

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

Thanks for the advice.

It seems that compact motor noise is something to put up with then.

A good idea to take along a card and listen at home.

Thanks

profile.country.it_IT.title
micheleR
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem with a DCR-SX33E.

The answer was : " ... don't use the zoom during the recording... in such way you will avoid the noise of lens..."

I'm very amazed about that... "advice" . Is it realy the big SONY which suggests that to solve an

evident product defect.

That is really a NOT CONFORMITY DEFECT and probably it would be not legal because there isn't no parameter indicated into the product specifications which explain its noise level, so the normal functionality is compromised.

If SONY will not give me a solution probably I will attempt a legal action.

Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
doverrog
Explorer

micheleR - I'm glad to see you're annoyed as I am about this zoom noise.

It's simply not good enough  not to tell people about this at point of sale or give a warning on the box etc.

Hiding something deep inside the instruction book on page 33 of the 160 pages is just avoiding telling people.

The book says, in a note added as a sort of afterthought-

• The operating sound of the lens is recorded when the zoom function operates while shooting a movie.

It would be good if Sony could respond in this thread and even better if they and other manufacturers could resolve this.

Please let us know if you get any response.

profile.country.it_IT.title
micheleR
Visitor

doverrog, I agree with you completely., however as you say , you have at least a very little note in your instruction manual. In my case ( handycam dcr-sx33) there is any refer to this "limitations" and due to this mechanical noise of the zoom the recorded video quality decays literaly.
If you want to follow my posted discussion about this argument ( obviously if you understand the italian) go to this link:

https://www.sony.it/discussions/message/727073#727073

I denounced exactly this clear "hiding attempt" the defect into the manual of the camera and also into its specifies.

jetdog9
New

Ha, a bit late to the party as the model is almost 10 years old now. 

I never noticed they put that note in the manual, at least they did that. This issue has always really bothered me with the DSC-HX5V. It did not happen with my even older DSC-S85.

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

It's almost certain that the noise migrates through the body of the camera so surely using an external microphone would resolve this - or has this been suggested?

Must admit, not impressed with the response from Sony!!