Join now - be part of our community!

New Camera

profile.country.GB.title
mikmar1

New Camera

Just received my Sony RX10 mark 4 and its a Biggy well compared to  the 6500s diminutive  footprint. But  having spent a couple of hours just getting to know the RX10  I can confirm its a  wonderful outfit  as it will do anything  that a bag of lenses  will do and with a lot less hassle.  Image quality is outstanding  with little or no correction in JPEG and its super fast  accurate focus  is a joy to use.  The lens if fantastic   and very responsive  in all  lights . So  I will  give another update  before  the winter  and let you all know how it is getting on

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @mikmar1,

@mikmar1  wrote:

it will do anything  that a bag of lenses  will do and with a lot less hassle.

that is exactly what bridge cameras are for. Glad to hear you are satisfied with your purchase.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
mikmar1

Thanks Nic    Having used cameras for the last  fifty  plus years  from the very first Pentax  SLR along side a Rollycord  VB at a time when 35mm was considered  by the experts to be too small to give a good image  to a time when the first digitals were considered a passing phase  and would never replace  film  in the press  and wider photographic community . My old friend  who supplied most of the press community  with their  Films, chemicals , papers  and  other equipment  told me that  I was the  one first  local  Press photographers to fully convert to digital in one go and with in one year his  business had dropped by  a hundred  thousand pounds  as the rest followed.  I have used many bridge cameras over the years  from Nikon  to Fuji  all very good in their  own right  but lacking the pro feel  and  quality of their larger cousins the DSLRs  hence my return to Micro four thirds  and then the Sony system  with its larger sensor  and super  processors  and above all its focus which  was a game changer  for me with  the only drawback  of  more lenses requiring constant changes in all weathers . Then I stumbled across the RX10M4 and the more I seen  I realised that at last the Bridge camera had become of age  and countless reviews  and reports later I decided to  take the plunge  and make the move . I feel your response to my post  was a little condescending as I by dint of my experience  was very well aware of the purpose of all  Bridge cameras  which till now  were not capable  of replacing a full pro outfit .I was trying to  enlighten others  particularly  our older  photographers of the merits of these often overlooked  pieces  of equipment . 

profile.country.GB.title
ilsonbhoy
New

I fully agree the RX10 iv is a very versatile top of the range bridge camera. Had mine a fortnight now and just so impressed with it's capabilities

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Firstly - WILL THE ADMINS PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO ALLOW REGULAR VISITORS TO KEEP LOGGED IN! IT IS JUST SO ANNOYING TO HAVE TO GOT THROUGH THE VERIFICATION PROCESS EVERY TIME!

Right, rant over!

Hi mickmar1 - I got my new RX10M4 in November and at 81 was somewhat awed by the menu but have come to grips with the basics and LOVE it! I have always been an SLR man, Minolta back in the day, Canon, Fuji recently and just love not having to lug 3Kg of lens around with me.

It took me a few months to sort out all the focus, shutter and exposure  options but now am producing some nice results.

My saviour in the early days was the dpreview forum where there is a lot of experience but then with all your experience I'm sure you'll soon come to grips with it.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @cheddarman,

@cheddarman  schrieb:

Firstly - WILL THE ADMINS PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO ALLOW REGULAR VISITORS TO KEEP LOGGED IN! IT IS JUST SO ANNOYING TO HAVE TO GOT THROUGH THE VERIFICATION PROCESS EVERY TIME!

unless you delete your cookies or change the device/browser you only need to log in the "hard way" once every 60 or even 90 days if I recall correctly.

If you have issues, kindly post about this in the general chat section of the forums.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
mikmar1

I agree entirely  with  you about the RX10 M4 its  a learning curve  but no worse than  many of todays cameras with their  massive ability's to capture an image under any circumstances. Indeed on reflection  better than some  though  there is nothing that can not be improved upon. Its handling  I feel is  excellent  as it has the feel  of a Pro camera which  again is a personal  thing and some may  argue  for the merits of a smaller more compact  machine. I personally feel its  just right  and its solid  chunky body giver that reliable feel of precision engineering. I think over the years  Bridge cameras have been  seen  by many  as just  not  suitable  for  professional quality  results ,great for the  holiday snap  and so on. I have in the past used a Nikon version  and later  a Fuji with an excellent  specification  and a good zoom range  with a push pull zoom but  the results  were not  of consistent quality  and the difference  in sensors  when compared to a basic DSLR were very  obvious. Now that's all in the past  and anyone using  the RX10 M4 has no excuse not to produce  superb images  in all circumstances . Thanks for the tips  on the  information sites  they are most helpful