Join now - be part of our community!

Rectangular box when shooting video

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
glospete

Rectangular box when shooting video

My wife and I have identical DSC-HX90V cameras. But when I shoot video there is a rectangular box in the LCD monitor but it is not there on my wife's camera. The resulting movie seems identical but it really bugs me to find out why there is a difference. I have checked each and every Menu setting and cannot see any difference on any setting. Any ideas? IMG_2306.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
glospete

When I log on to my existing account and then click Connect A Camera (using a micro USB cable from my iMac to the camera) everything greys out on the screen and nothing happens. 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Can you try with another Browser? Sometime the Browser Is the problem in theese case...

profile.country.GB.title
glospete

Unfortunately that didn't work. I tried using Chrome but got these messages:using Chromeusing ChromeScreenshot 2020-01-06 at 10.54.09 am.png

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Ok so... Maybe is Catalina's fault?

profile.country.GB.title
glospete

Solved! It was a problem between my camera and my home WiFi. Once that was fixed then the apps downloaded from the Sony site directly to my camera. Thanks for your perseverance in trying to solve my problem - I appreciate it.  

The change from Sony Play Memories to Imaging Edge is also very confusing at the moment. I understand the reason (32 bit apps not being possible within Catalina) but it's still not a seamless transition. I am waiting for a few months before I move to Catalina. 

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @glospete,

well, regarding the rectangular, I'd rather say that you activated one of the markers as described here.

I do not possess your camera so I can only guess but I'm almost sure that the rectangular was/is indicating the so-called safety zone. This is a relic from those times when we had analogue TVs only. Those were often not displaying the full content of a frame but cut off parts on all four sides. Therefore it was necessary to make sure that all important parts of a movie (be it filmed context or added context like superimposed text) stood within the safe area. Today you can mostly take it as an additional help for aligning your camera.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
glospete

Thank you for the link and explanation. I’ve no idea how I activated it and I managed to fix it. But it’s always useful to know what caused it. 
I appreciate it. 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Excellent, I had not found a match in the Guide, I had not used a suitable search key...