Join now - be part of our community!

And the point is....?

And the point is....?

Hi all, I came on to the community forum this morning, just to appreciate some wonderful pictures.

To glimpse another persons view of the world.

To appreciate pictures of amazing parts of this wonderful earth that I will never see.

To experience original art, from talented individuals that I would otherwise never view.

And all of the above - for free, without moving from my horribly drab bedroom, in a horribly uncool corner of the South West of Scotland.

Mid pandemic, mid lockdown, at a never in my lifetime, unchartered period of human history that Thanos would be proud of.

Just to view beauty, to enjoy others perspectives that I would never had access to pre internet.

And all in a bid to quench my thirst for creativity that has lay dormant for most of my 50 years.

So I’m new to photography, new to Sony, new to art and I had no idea what to expect when I joined the community in order to access the “gallery”.

So I was looking for a starting point, some signposting to my areas of interest, some direction from the moderators.

With that in mind I look for some posts that contain guidelines, some indexing, some charter or mission statement or...something to show me what to expect or what I should or shouldn’t do.... 

I’m really sorry to be negative or unpleasant or controversial or discriminatory or disruptive or...... not nice, but what I did not expect was a list of playground...can’t, never, do not, don’t expect and the ability to earn badges that mean, what exactly?

I expected nothing but moving photography and perhaps some interesting ideas or unique opinions when in fact the guidelines I found would stifle any small part of originality that I have.

Seems like Sony reserve the right to do just about anything they like at a moments notice to whomever they please. 

Freedom of speech, conflict, difference of opinion and unique points of view it would seem are all discouraged in this artistic community.

So what exactly is the point? Can someone offer me some guidance?

Am I invited to post under a photograph as a very amateurish amateur with a big imagination that I feel relates to the original title?

Are there competitions even just for the fun of it?

Am I allowed to start a conversation about how amazing it was to play, (for the very first time) Fortnite tonight with my 9 year old son and truly appreciate how it felt to win our first “Victory Royale” despite some very cringeworthy squeals from myself when being shot and my complete lack of ability with the controller.

Am I able to ask the community their opinion on whether or not I’m doing the right thing in refusing my almost 10 year old the VR headset he has asked for every day for the last 365 days?

Am I able to comment that I wonder why we bother spending lots of money, lots of time often, lining up the one in a 100 or 1000 or even 1 in 10000 shots it will take to get that amazing macro of the bee in my garden without using any tricks or photoshop or filters of any kind when it feels like everyone else is cheating?

I wanted a community that fit all of the above but perhaps Instagram suits me better after all?

Disruptive, negative, controversial....not nice replies entirely welcome....

anyway hi all, I’m new, I like to make an entrance, cause a bit of trouble if at all possible....

0 REPLIES 0