Join now - be part of our community!

Game Over Zeus and Cryptolocker Viruses - Get protected!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Game Over Zeus and Cryptolocker Viruses - Get protected!

Hi all

I'm sure many of you have seen the news reports about the Game Over Zeus and Cryptolocker ransomware viruses that lock your pc and encrypts all of your data, then ask you to pay to unlock it.

I just wanted to post this for those who haven't heard about the threat or may just want to check their computer security or know how to prevent it.

I was going to attempt to write a guide but found a couple of places which put it much more succinctly :smileyyahoo:.

Trend Micro explain all about the Virus Here,

"GOZ and CryptoLocker are two of the most notorious malware that we have seen as of late. CryptoLocker is a ransomware that not only locks the system it affects, but also encrypts certain files found in the system's hard drive. This may be a tactic to ensure that the victim pays the ransom, as there is no other way to decrypt the files but with a key that the cybercriminals responsible can only provide."

225201463738.jpeg

The 'This Morning' website also posts information about the viruses with links to checking / removal tools and links to free antivirus programs too. It's well worth a look  Here :slight_smile:

Most of us will have antivirus / malware software but remember to keep them updated and its certainly worth running a scan as its important to find and remove the malware before it starts encrypting your data!

Also this appears to only be transmitted through email attachments. I believe it is disguised as a pdf or text file but it is actually the payloader for the malware. An infected computer can also have their contacts raided so just be vigilant of attachments from anyone you know too.
 :cool:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi jumpsuit,

Thanks for posting this!

I saw the CH4 News the other night when this was first announced, amazingly the person they interviewed said that it had been known about for some time and they had made every effort to notify people.., what a load of BS that was! I've seen no mention of this exploit until it was mentioned this week.

Not surprisingly every link they provided for advice were all down, perhaps even crashed due to the panic that ensued?

Worse still, it seemed that many of the anti-virus companies had no information about this exploit either. I guess even they knew nothing about it until this week.

It's good to see Tend Micro are on the ball with some good advice, I notice they even provide a cleaner if you're infected but really I think AV companies should be doing more to address the situation rather than providing a mop and bucket to clean up afterwards.

I think your final line gave the best advice..,

"be vigilant of attachments from anyone you know too".

As a point of interest, I received an email last summer from a dear friend of mine saying that he and his wife were on holiday in Thailand and they had been mugged and all their money and mobile phones stolen.

Of course I was very concerned since the email was definitely from the correct address and so I thought nothing more and emailed him back. I tried to offer words of advice and even mentioned perhaps there was an embassy he could turn to for help.

Minutes later he sent me another email saying how worried he and Maria were and asked if I could deposit £2,000 into a bank account so they could buy flight tickets to come home.

As luck had it I had heard about the particular bank he mentioned and knew it was not ever recommended to use it for money transactions and so I decided to phone him on his mobile, obviously if he answered then I would have no problem helping with the money. Guess what? He did answer.., he was sitting on the sofa at home in sunny Devon watching the cricket!!!

I mentioned the email, to which he replied, "Oh yeah, did I not tell you I had a virus on my computer a while back, it uploaded my Windows address book"!!

I asked if he used anti virus software, he said "no"!

Apparently I was the sixth friend to receive that same 'hard luck' email.

Lesson learned, I don't think I will be so ignorant in the future!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14