Join now - be part of our community!

LF-S50G Google Assistant Speaker Issue

profile.country.GB.title
chandalf
Explorer

LF-S50G Google Assistant Speaker Issue

I have had a LF-S50G Google Assistant powered speaker for over a year and use it in the kitchen for a multitude of things including as a convenient timer (by saying" Okay Google, set a timer for xx minutes"). This has worked flawlessly until about 48 hours ago when, at the end of the time, when I have previously said "Okay Google, stop" and the alarm has stopped, it now says "Sorry, there was a glitch; please try again". Nothing other than unplugging the unit will stop the timer/alarm.

I also have a Google Home and a Home mini; they work just as before/expected. The major difference that I can see between the Sony and them is that Sony's Cast Firmware is way out-of-date. Could this be the reason and if so, what can be done to restore the function?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
scottont
Explorer

I had no end of issues with the Sony LF-S50G since purchase.

Compared to the Google Home speakers, which have been flawless, this has been a disaster. 

Initially, Hey Google wouldn't work at all, (in that nothing I said was ever actioned), however if I opened the Google Home app and click "start Playing" option and some random song from Spotify would start, then Google Assistant would then start to work.

Unplug the speaker move it to another room and back to the same "Hey Google" voice command not working.

Leave it plugged in and not used for a couple of days, same thing, you would need to start playing something before Google Assistant would work.

You can see the see on the speaker that it appears to be listening, but just wouldn't work.

Unfortunately I Couldn't diagnose more as we moved home and things went into storage etc.

Fast forward and finally have the house renovations finished. Pulled out all smart home speakers set them up. The Sony speaker did a firmware update, now on 96136122 cast version is 1.52.246654.

Now my old workaround doesn't even work. It's like Google Assistant can't hear me after I say the words "Hey Google".

Even simple questions "what's the time" "what's the weather today" - nothing. 

I can cast to the speaker and it will play radio (from tunein app) or from Spotify, but I can't use any voice commands at all after "Hey Google".

I've factory reset it, removed it from Google Home more times than I can count, turned the mics off and back on again.

It hears the "Hey Google" and any playing content reduces in volume but anything I say doesn't get actioned, not even a "I don't understand that"

Has anyone else managed to ever get this speaker to work correctly?? 

profile.country.GB.title
scottont
Explorer

Further investigation yesterday, and after the speaker turns on, the only way it accepts commands is to hold a figure in the centre at the top of the speaker (where the O & N of Sony are) and then say the Hey Google command.

this then works for subsequent commands for a few minutes and then stops again, meaning you need to “re initialise” Goggle Assistant by physically touching the speaker again.

more investigation today’s