Join now - be part of our community!

STR DN1040 - HDMI Output

BForster
Explorer

STR DN1040 - HDMI Output

Hi Guys, I'm Barry and this is my first post, so I apologise if I make mistakes, or ask a stupid question that's already been asked before. I'm not very techy so please be tolerant.

I have a 1040 with several devices connected via HDMI :- DVD Recorder, WDTV Live Media Player, Sky+ Box. These output to the Sony Bravia via the HDMI A [ARC] output and all work well.

I wish to connect a set of Sennheiser RS185 Wireless Headphones so I can listen to the audio on headphones [my hearing is getting a bit dodgy] while my Wife listenens through the speakers. The Sennheisers have a 'docking station' which has an Optical Digital Input, but the 1040 has no Optical Digital Output!

I wish to ask you techy Guys, How can I connect the 1040 to the Sennheisers? Can  I connect a device such as:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Toslink-Converter-Adapter-Splitter/dp/B00SIZEPOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

from the HDMI B Output on the 1040 to the Splitter and then connect an Optical cable from the Splitter to the Sennheisers.

If I now select HDMI A+B from the remote will this give me the Audio via the headphones together with audio through the speakers no matter which device is selected on the 1040?

I hope that makes sense and hope to receive an answer I can follow.

Many thanks, and festive greetings to you all,

Barry Forster

12 REPLIES 12
BForster
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

You are very helpful and considerate and it is much apprecited. There is one problem, however, if I listen through the headphone jack, my Wife won't be able to listen through the speakers. She would not be too impressed I'm afraid.

I think that I am going to risk a purchase of the splitter and hope that the audio signal from the 1040 is such that it will split to the Sennheiser docking station via the Optical connection. do you think it's a risk worth taking?

Thanks once again,

Barry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sure i had mine setup once for headphone + speakers via the headphone jack n my STR-DH820 AV Receiver, but dont quotevme on that yet.  I can test if you want me to.

If you want to experiment with splitters etc, go ahead.  But if its a large amount of £££ purchase online or via Amazon which has a good returns policy and purchasing online you have 14 days to return upon placing an order under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Cheers

BForster
Explorer

Thanks for the offer Quinnicus, but as the headphones are wireless, I think it would be wasting your time. I will wait for the reply from Sony Tech and assuming no bad news, I'll go ahead and order from Amazon.

Thanks again for your efforts, help and advice.

Regards,

Barry.