Join now - be part of our community!

14 month old Sony Bravia 50" faulty!? - Please Help!

JayPDC
Explorer

14 month old Sony Bravia 50" faulty!? - Please Help!

Just wondering if anyone here can help, particularly Sony?

We bought a 50" HD Sony Bravia Smart TV from our local Currys store in December 2013 as a Christmas gift for my parents. The TV was amazing and we chose it because it looks great, the thin design was cool and the picture quality was crisp and colourful...

However, we didn't take out the extended warranty with Currys (I don't believe in having to when buying something that's supposed to last) and was very shocked when the TV just developed a fault last week! The TV turns on and the menu still shows up, however the picture in the background and main TV picture is just vertical lines... there is also a a slight crackling/eclectrical sound coming from the back of it (is this dangerous?)...

Anyway, my brother was trying to handle the complaint with Sony and Currys but Sony have only offered 20% off the repair bill... a repair for a TV that's only 2 months out of its warranty!

Currys want £120 upfront for the TV to be looked at?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced any such problems and/or might know what I should do from here? The TV cost us £750 new (£800 but there was an instore £50 off offer), and was in use from Christmas Day 2013.

Come on Sony or Currys... do the right thing here please! something at this price should not have just developed a fault like this?

J

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
alex30

Hi,

If you are getting nowhere with the seller of the TV or the maker then the best option would be to contact Trading Standards (find them on the intrnet and phone them)

They will be well placed to tell you what rights you have under the Sale And Supply of Goods Act..  Your rights are laid down in law under that act.

Good luck.

profile.country.en_GB.title
garfield100

fwiw, you may also wish to visit avforums.com and read/get advice re. Currys.

Sale of Goods act comes into play.

As you did not take out an extended warranty with Currys or Sony, I'm afraid it is not unusual to have to pay up front for an engineer's report.  Some sellers will reimburse this cost if they accept liability.

JayPDC
Explorer

Thanks!

JayPDC
Explorer

Thanks, just an update... Curry's want £95 upfront to look at the TV and then fix it if possible, the £95 is refunded if they find the fault is with the TV and not caused by misuse of the TV... Nothing back from Sony yet (kinda suprised at their lack of customer service)!

Archaepon
Explorer

As a few people have said is is The Sale of Goods Act that covers this. Look here: 

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brighton-hove/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt 

Also there is a 'durability' clause under EU law; you do not expect to buy a new telly every year! Try your local Citizens Advice for further clarification on this. 

Sadly you have to prove that the goods were not fit for purpose. Don't lose heart and argue your case as forcefully and calmly as possible. Good luck!

Archaepon
Explorer

Just thought! If you used a credit card to buy this then the CC company may have some liability too:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying...

Try them if you did! Good luck.

The same thing just happened to mine. I bought the TV in october 2014. Its been on the wall and hasn't moved since. Nothing happened physically to it the screen just randomly started going green and red as if burning a film reel as it was playing. 

I am absolutley gutted. I too didn't bother with the additional cover as my last tv (LG) lasted me 7 years. So my theory was if I spend more on a TV (Nearly £1000 as you say) I would be getting something that would last me more than a little over a year. 

Like you the response from Sony was a nice and simple F*!K off and speak to a service department for a repair. I have costed with them and they estimate around the £500 mark to have it repaired. 

What a Joke!!!! 

Anyway at least they replied I guess I should be grateful!!! :worried:

Regards,

Matt

Archaepon
Explorer

Have a look at my previous posts re: durabilty and credit card purchases. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@matthew-stevenson1

Hi there

I have escalated your complaint back to Sony in the hopes they can assist further.  As the previous poster says, you might want to find out under the Sales of Goods Act.  There is a new Consumer Rights Act 2015, but this covers for purchases made on or after 1 October 2015.

Cheers