Join now - be part of our community!

Can you stream videos to a kdl46w3000?

SOLVED
Ninja_zxr
Explorer

Can you stream videos to a kdl46w3000?

hi, has any manage to stream videos to a Sony Bravia kdl46w3000 from a nas? If yes what nas did you use and what dlna. I have been able to display photos but I've had not luck with videos. I want to change my nas from a cheap dlink but what t ensure I get one that's compatible , that's if there is one.

thanks in advance from any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm

Your question has me very much intregued.  As all the information i have, the tv is not networkable.  Im attaching the manual to this post.

Can you please confirm the model is indeed KDL-46W3000, which was released in 2008.  If so, are you able to take a photo of the network port at the back of the tv?

Cheers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Streaming to a TV without network card?!? 

Ninja_zxr
Explorer

No via a network using a nas with a dlna server installed on it. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Again, I own a kdl32w4000 newer than your but still 8 years old... no network no dlna possible it does not even read video file from usb. 

You can only connect some external media player to an hdmi port

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive also had a look at your problem and agree with Rooobb above.  How are you streaming to the TV via your NAS.  As far as I can see, your TV does not have a network port or support wireless connectivity?  Are you streaming content to an external device that is connected to your TVs HDMI port as Rooobb mentioned above?

Cheers

Ninja_zxr
Explorer

The TV is connected to the network via a cat 5 cable then to my router. My nas has a dlna server running on it and this is connected to the router by a cat 5 cable. The tv see's the dlna server that's on the nas and you can flip through the photos on the nas. It just won't play videos. I hope that makes sense.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No it does not or you wrote the wrong model code.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm

Your question has me very much intregued.  As all the information i have, the tv is not networkable.  Im attaching the manual to this post.

Can you please confirm the model is indeed KDL-46W3000, which was released in 2008.  If so, are you able to take a photo of the network port at the back of the tv?

Cheers

Ninja_zxr
Explorer

Sorry my bad. I could have swore it was a 3000. It's a 5500.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh now were talking.  :slight_smile:  dont worry about it.

To answer your actual question though: the TV (KDL-46W5500) only supports the following files/codecs

–Still images: JPEG format

–Music: MP3 format or linear PCM format

–Video: The following file formats stored on the sever: AVCHD,HDV, MPEG2-PS (which in some cases may not be able to be played)

As you can see, not many file formats/codecs are supported.  And unfortunately those supported have been superseeded by others now.

Some NAS servers will allow you to enable an option called 'transcoding' or something similar.  Basically the NAS server will re-encode the video file 'on the fly' to a codec that the TV supports. But you will need to look at the NAS manual for that one.

Alternatively, what you could purchase an external media player that connects to the tvs HDMI port to stream from the NAS, search Amazon as there are loads of options

Cheers