Join now - be part of our community!

DNLA Server and Sony Client problems with 4K Content

ecallawevad
Explorer

DNLA Server and Sony Client problems with 4K Content

I have a Twonky Media DNLA server running from a QNAP NAS device, which works fine on a Samsung 4K tv playing 4k content without a problem.  Then I try to run the same content on the Sony and it says it not supported.  However, if I transfer the same content to a usb stick and plug it in the usb port on the Sony, then it plays no problem.  Its not a network issue as were running cat6 cable and 1Gbps switch.  It appears that Sony use two seperate chips in their tv's, one for usb and a seperate one with different functionality for network streaming.  So some files work fine on usb but not on DNLA.  This issue only really affects 4K content, as all 1080p files work through DNLA.  Why cant they bring a firmware update out so that 4k content can be played from a DNLA player as the Samsung does?  It cannot be that difficult surely?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
ecallawevad
Explorer

Correction: The bottom line should read:  Why cant they bring a firmware update out so that 4k content can be played from a DNLA server as the Samsung does?  It cannot be that difficult surely?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I cant see any reason why you cant play 4k media via DLNA.  Are the files using a supported codec?  Need you TV model number to answer further though.

Cheers