Join now - be part of our community!

Fault with Bravia KDL32W5810

SOLVED
alang498
Explorer

Fault with Bravia KDL32W5810

I have just replaced our Sony Bravia KDL32W5810 (Freesat tuner) with a KDL32WD756BU (Freeview tuner).

I was very happy with the sound and picture quality from the old KDL32W5810 and the only reason for replacing was that a fault developed:

When switching the television on, the right hand side of the screen would be completely black. By tapping the back of the television several times in various places, the blackness would sometimes change to various light coloured stripes but after numerous taps the full picture would appear. The picture would then be perfectly OK for the duration of viewing but the situation would re-occur everytime the television was switched on.

I was advised that a repair would be expensive and that it would be better to replace the television - which we have done, however, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong and if a repair is feasible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not a TV technician/engineer - so I can only guess.  It could be a loose/faulty LDVS cable, or a faulty T-Con board.  I doubt it would be the panel itself, as you mentioned tapping the back of the TV would work.

However to be absolutely frank - that TV model is from 2010.  TV Technology has come a long way since then.  And if you have a look around at the cost of a new 32" TV (which you have already purchased), then its really is un-economical to repair.  If you were thinking of repairing it and then selling it on E-Bay, Gumtree etc, really no one is going to purchase a TV these days that is 6 years old.

Anyway, just my 2p

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not a TV technician/engineer - so I can only guess.  It could be a loose/faulty LDVS cable, or a faulty T-Con board.  I doubt it would be the panel itself, as you mentioned tapping the back of the TV would work.

However to be absolutely frank - that TV model is from 2010.  TV Technology has come a long way since then.  And if you have a look around at the cost of a new 32" TV (which you have already purchased), then its really is un-economical to repair.  If you were thinking of repairing it and then selling it on E-Bay, Gumtree etc, really no one is going to purchase a TV these days that is 6 years old.

Anyway, just my 2p

Cheers

alang498
Explorer

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer - I suspected that a repair may be uneconomic and so, with reluctance, obtained £50 trade in for the old tv.

Although technology moves on - sometimes the old things are the best - the KDL32W5810 gave us a good picture and sound.

The picture on our new KD321W756 is OK but the sound is awful. It seems standard that manufacturers now expect the purchaser of a new flat screen tv to buy a sound system as well.

I am still playing around with the settings to try and get a picture and sound that is acceptable before exploring soundbars and soundbases.