Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] YouTube discontinued on some devices (2012 and older)

Anonymous
Not applicable

[Master Thread] YouTube discontinued on some devices (2012 and older)

Hello All

As you have already seen in the subject above, it is sadly unfortunate that Google will no longer support the YouTube application on 2012 and older Sony televisions, video and audio products from 20 April 2015.  Many 2012 devices may have 2 YouTube icons.  If you have the white square YouTube icon, this will still be supported.

This is a decision that is well outside of Sony's control. Many other manufactuerers/brands will also be affect by this.

Please see Sony's FAQ for more information as well as the full list of devices affected:
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/youtube-app-announcement

Please also see YouTube's announcement:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135

I understand that may of you will be upset by this (including myself!), To voice your displeasure and a show of solidarity, please click the "Me Too" button on this first post.

If you feel that you wish to comment, please do so in this thread only.  However can you please keep it within forum rules.  

Thank you all

28 REPLIES 28
stulaine
New

You tube says use the browser but opera is so slow and will not play embedded video. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @stulaine 

I have moved your posts to the relevent YouTube thread - hope you dont mind.

Unfortunately YouTube via the TV's web browser is not suitable and is unlikely to work.

The only real suggestion that I have, if you still want to use YouTube on the TV, is to purchase a Bluray Player (or a device called Chromecast, if you have a smartphone or tablet).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

Would a Now TV box be the cheapest option?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bernie-the-Bolt

In a word - yes! Works well and can add Plex to it to run all films/TV/music from your PC/mobile/NAS. For £10-£15 what's not to like?

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

Pity they've gone up to £20 since I last looked.

Bernie-the-Bolt

Look at Now TV online - but it's still cheaper than a new telly!
duklaprm
Explorer

Just another kick in the teeth from sony...no significant upgrade or advance since I bought my TV (and DVD home theatre system) so got to wonder at just how good the new smart tvs must be.

i accept that technology moves on but seem to be getting poor treatment on this while they focus on new customers instead.

very very disappointing....

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks for setting up this "Master Thread" Quinnicus.

Looks like this TV is destined to become a large monitor for my laptop!

One thing I certainly will not be doing is buying a blasted Chromecast stick!

I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a darning needle than support Google ever again. :angry:

PS. Just "uninstalled" Google Chrome .........positively orgasmic! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for acknowledging my panicked posting before I found this thread!

Just as an asside, I have bought a second hand laptop which is a bit of a beast!

i7 Quad core with 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

Something of an upgrade from the old machine I have!

As it has HDMI out, I would like to connect it to my KDL40NX803 in order to watch DVD's, and also to use it as an occasional large screen monitor.

The last time I did this, the technology was a little different, CRT screen, Individual red, yellow and white banana plugs, and the result was somewhat underwhelming!

Having read the i-Manual, I'm  more confused than before:

QUOTE from the relevent page:-

• HDTV* (Full HD model only)
  • Horizontal (pixel)/Vertical (Line): 1920/1080
  • Horizontal frequency (kHz)/Vertical frequency (Hz): 67.5/60
  • Standard: EIA*

Note:

• This TV's PC Input does not support Sync on Green or Composite Sync
  • This TV's PC input does not support intertlaced signals.
  • For optimum picture quality, it is recommended to use the signals in the chart with a 60Hz vertical frequency (boldfaced).
  • 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a video timing and not a PC timing. This will affect the "Video Input Settings" and "Screen" settings. To view PCcontents, set "Screen Format" to "Wide" and "Display Area" to "Full Pixel".

Err...What?

Do even Sony technicians know what that means?

All I wan to know is if something is going to go BOOM when I try it!

Had to laugh when trying to find HDMI 2 and 3, hunted all round the back of the set for hours finally finding them hidden on the left hand edge!

Any advice would be helpful

sycosnake
Explorer

Same here mate, never ever a Sony again. I have these two top of the range sony products (

KDL-46HX853 and KDL-40ZX1 )  Samsung is the future.

Thank you sony for wasting my money.