Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
profile.country.en_IE.title
caspermccormack
Visitor

This is a joke!! Will the SMP200 getting netflix in Ireland?  I can't see why my PS3 has RTE player and netflix and the SMP200 does not????? I don't get TV3 either and all working over the same broadband connection.

hawk50
Visitor
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi all

Just to answer a few of the recent questions and to clarify a few points.

Netflix have encoded their content in a totally different way for the UK using a DRM which isn't compatible with the older devices.I'd like nothing more than to put it on legacy devices, but engineers on both sides have said it can't be done, unfortunately so this isn't down to a refusal to support, simply software/hardware backward compatibility.

Whilst other devices like Apple TV have Netflix, but no iPlayer, Demand 5, Muzu Lovefilm etc for example so its swings and roundabouts, and this isn't purely down to age of device - smartphones run far more powerful processors than TV's and Blu-ray players, and if you look at the Sim Free cost of a handset and compare it to an entry level Blu-ray player, you can see there is a lot more margin to play with in terms of development.

As I think I mentioned before, backward compatibility for other manufacturers devices is also incredibly limited, so this is not a Sony only issue by any stretch. We are beholdent to Netflix to make something that is compatible for our devices - indeed they have been supporting the same hardware in the US for a few years already, but they chose to go in a different direction for their UK service.

caspermccorma  - Do please get your SNP-n200 checked out by your local service centre who should be able to resolve your TV3 issue for you.

Thanks

hawk50
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

thanks for the update.

Please could you list which Sony Internet TV's are compatible with UK Netflix, rather than just saying older / 2010 / 2011 models are not compatible.  This would help clarify, as it is not absolutely clear where the cut off is for compatibility / non compatibility.  Is it that all Sony TV's are not compatible?  If some are compatible, please list them.

Would you please also share this discussion thread with UK Netflix?  This could persuade UK Netflix / Sony to reconsider other solutions.  For example they could lease the compatible technology from iPlayer, Demand 5, Muzu, Lovefilm or You Tube; or revert to to US Netflix standard...

Clearly Sony has some disappointed customers - if a third of viewers rely on catch up TV (see earlier note), well Netflix, ITV Player & 4OD are pretty big omissions for a lot of customers.

If there really is no solution for backward compatibility, please advise how we can exchange to newer compatible TV's, for good customer satisfaction / goodwill.

Message was edited by: hawk50

Message was edited by: hawk50

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Hawk50

All new 2012 devices will support Netflix - the TV's haven't been released yet and the first few Blu-ray Players have started shipping but the app hasn't gone live..

I met with Netflix yesterday and ths came up, but this backward compatibility discussion has been going on for a fair few months now and it unfortunately cannot be advanced any further. Whilst its a nice idea, I'm not sure they would have the appetite to go down that route as that would be incredible expensive for them and mean running and supporting another platform just for Sony.

This is the nature of technology I'm afraid. There is always something better around the corner. If you bought an iPad2 two weeks ago, you would be a bit bummed that the new one was just announced. If you wait for it, you'll never buy anything.This reminds me of an old cartoon I saw of two cavemen watching a third caveman cooking over a fire. The first says to the second "I'm going to wait until they perfect it."

At this time, we have no plans to offer a trade-in scheme I'm afraid.

Thanks

hawk50
Visitor

Catmambo,

has Netflix seen this discussion thread?

Apple supports older devices.  They brought out the new iPad & iOS 5.1 at the same time.  iOS 5.1 is an update which brings new features and is backward compatible to older devices, like the iPad 2.

Please confirm plans for ITV Player & 4OD on Sony Internet TV - hopefully backward compatible..

Thanks.

Batfinkk

Where is Siri on my iPhone 4? Apple absolutely do not backdate all features. Whats worse with Apple is that its been backported via Cydia proving it can work fine. Siri is wholey owned by them so they could do it if they want.

Whereas Netflix on Sony relies on two companies systems synchronising. Assuming Catmambo is correct about the DRM issue, then the Netflix content simply wouldn't be compatible. As I see it, this not entirely Sony's fault here if Netflix have launched a new system just for UK.

profile.country.GB.title
Quick.Response
New

I'm so glad I bought both a 24" EX and a 46" HX series internet TV in 2011 that can't handle playing video over the internet.

Netflix - you should be ashamed of yourselves for putting Sony in this position! There are quite a number of very unhappy people on this forum, all of which would love to pay you some money each month - you don't deserve the business.

hawk50
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

see attached announcement for Sky's 'Now TV'

http://corporate.sky.com/investors/press_releases/2012/now_tv

Please can Sony get involved early in the development process with Sky, to ensure that this time, this product can be made available to Sony Internet TVs, including backward compatibility.

Thanks!

Wakey638
Visitor

Okay, well that settles that.  After months of smoke and mirrors it looks like Netflix wont be available on 90% of UK sony equipment.

Funny enough I find watching netflix on tiny laptop not really satisfying, and not really suitable for family viewing.

I will be cancelling my subscription to Netflix promptly.

Lovefilm or AppleTV here we come.

Catmambo, thanks for keeping people in the loop, but I do find it staggering that 2 large companies cannot sort their s**t out!