Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
profile.country.en_IE.title
micoreil
New

In relation to whether Netflix exists on devices in the US but not UK/IRL...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sony-adds-netflix-to-bravia-internet-video-platform-62159142...

That press release was issued in July 09, 6 months before I bought my TV...

"In the fall of 2009, Netflix members will be able to instantly watch more than 12,000 movies and TV episodes on Sony BRAVIA Internet Video-capable HDTVs and on previous BRAVIA models compatible with Sony's BRAVIA Internet Video Link module."

This should surely end the software/hardware debate.

I already have Livestrong and Golflink as mentioned in the press release (both of which I have no interest in and never use) so why not Netflix??!

stumpybloke
New

Let's just be honest here...take one device is the US that has Netflix, and it's equivalent over here doesn't! No other reason than it's not on Sonys high priority list. All this rhetoric means nothing...if Sony wanted it on, it would be.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Microreil

Big difference between Golflink, Billabong etc and Netflix. The former use one type of security, the latter uses another. The quality and value of the content differs massively also and as Netflix don't actually 'own' the content, the Hollywood studios are incredible and increasingly strict on the types of DRM used.

These are 3 different platforms (TV, Blu-Ray/Netbox & PS3) and are certified independently of one another. Netflix now use Playready - http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/25/netflix-goes-with-microsoft-playready-drm-for-upcoming-streaming-de... DRM. Legacy TV & Blu-ray devices have not been certified with Playready support and decryption may also put a massive load on the the chipset. As PS3 is basically a high powered computer, the CPU can easily manage this load placed on it, whereas simpler devices may not find it as easy.

The difference with the US is that the legacy US Netflix service never used Playready, it used our DRM to secure the system.  Now Netflix are standardising and running parallel platforms, with new devices presumably only utilising this system. As they have only just launched a UK system, they have never had localised UK content available in this new DRM package, thus herein lies the challenge -  its not just a case of copy/pasting the US (non-Playready) application (as I had hoped too!) as there would be no content to play in it.

Apologies if I haven't explained it very clearly, but hopefully this clarifies things a bit.

Thanks

ragriffiths
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

While we all appreciate your efforts in keeping us up to date with the reasons why it's not straightforward to implement Netflix on UK devices (even though other manufacturers seem to have managed it by now), I think the point is being missed.

All Sony customers want is some kind of information on *what* will be happening (or not happening) and *when*, even if it's only rough timescales at this stage. It's ridiculous to expect customers to believe that a company like Sony have no planning, and have no idea what they expect to be doing from month to month.

Thanks.

sully1311
Explorer

I think that update by catmambo basically means that Netflix definitely won't be coming to 2010 Bravia models then. :slight_frown:

stumpybloke
New

Nor 2011

psiops
Visitor

this all sounds good and plausible,i am not argueing with it, but it does sound like waffle when i can pick up my mobile phone and stream netflix ,i dont even need wifi ,this is what makes me feel  sony is dragging its feet.also the fact that netflix and starz parted ,and that sony are trying to flog there movies direct via sony entertainment network, i would rather believe in feetdragging and beligerance rather than sony cant solve a basic software problem. if sony are finding it difficult maybe they could ask for a homebrew solution then we would have netflix by easter.

mikefrancis62
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

So does Netflix in US have a beta version of Playready then?  Para 3 of your last is a little unclear.  What is "this system" in line 3 please?

My Bravia updated today,and as expected Netflix was not evident. Guess I'm gonna have to steal the kids Wii.

Cheers, Mike

Message was edited by: mikefrancis62

Message was edited by: mikefrancis62

ukcjm1
Visitor

Appreciate the explanation but I'd prefer a 'yes' or 'no' on this. Will Sony devices (Blu-ray and TV) be getting Netflix compatibility or not? When I know I can decide if I need to buy a Roku or something (and maybe return my player or ebay it).

kneejerkreactionman
New

Thanks for the update. Seems to be a common issue with Netflix on Smart TV platforms as I haven't seen it working with any other TV manufacturer yet. I'll make do with the PS3 and Tablet version until things are worked out. I appreciate you are working on it and that it's in both Netflix and Sony's interest to get it on as many devices as possible.