Join now - be part of our community!

Seeking the best way of using the DISCOVER app on the 2014 TV models

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Seeking the best way of using the DISCOVER app on the 2014 TV models

Has anyone worked out the best way of using the DISCOVER app on the 2014 TV models? Unfortunately, the Bravia i-Manual contains very little information about how to use it.

I’ve set up my favourite TV channels in four lists, Favourites 1, Favourites 2, Favourites 3 and Favourites 4, and hidden all the other categories. I have the following questions:

1.  When I press the DISCOVER button on the remote control for the first time after switching on the TV, the category “Top Picks” is displayed. I then need to scroll down to reach Favourites 1. Does anyone know what Top Picks is? And, more importantly, does anyone know how to get rid of it or hide it? It is extremely annoying.

When I press DISCOVER on subsequent occasions, the current channel is highlighted in the appropriate Favourites list, which is ideal from my point of view.

2.  The “Top Picks” category contains an item called “Introduction” with the words “Let’s set the keyword!”. What is the keyword, and why would I want to set it?

3.  Within a Favourites list, I would like to be able to choose the order in which the channels appear. Unfortunately, it appears that they can be sequenced only by channel number or by channel name. Have I missed something?

4.  The list of channels within a Favourites category does not appear to be circular. Again, have I missed something?  This means that, when I press DISCOVER and the current highlighted channel is at the beginning of a Favourites list, I have to scroll right a number of times to reach the channel at the end of the list instead of being able to scroll left just once. The list of Favourites categories is not circular either. If I scroll all the way down to Favourites 4, I then have to scroll all the way back up to Favourites 1.

It is because these lists are not circular, and because I cannot choose the order of the channels within a Favourites list, that I have had to split my favourite channels across four lists. If they were all in one list, in an order not of my own choice, there would be too much scrolling involved in changing channels.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

I've had no replies to this post.  Doesn't anyone know how to use DISCOVER on the 2014 TV models?

I would really like to know how to get rid of "Top Picks" and what the keyword is and why I should set it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry for the lack of replies.  This is one of the problems at the moment with the forum, its more of a question+answers of which when a person has their question answered, they tend to disappear.  Im hoping this will change in time to become a true community - but takes time.

In any case, unfortunately I cannot help you either, as I have a 2013 TV (not 2014) and have no real experience on the discover feature. Have you tried emailing Sony Support directly?

Maybe someone who has this may reply back?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus, I understand the situation.  I was thinking of throwing the problem back onto the retailer, but your suggestion of trying Sony Support might be more productive and quicker.

profile.country.GB.title
stephentodd73
New

Not sure if the software is different, on my 2015 device I do the following :

Press Discover

Scroll down to bottom, through many categories and until I reach settings. 

At Settings I choose Show/Hide categories

That being said, I like Top Picks, but it defaults to Freeview - where I'm tuning Freesat channels only. 

Any idea if I can change Top Picks to pickup satellite instead ?

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

When I press DISCOVER, I see a box at the bottom of the screen with the following words inside: "Let's set the keyword".  And the words "Press OPTIONS to set the keyword" are written over the top. (BTW, I've no idea what this keyword is or why I need to set it.)

If I come out of DISCOVER and then press DISCOVER again, I see the same box with the same words inside but, this time, I see "Top Picks" written over the top.  If I try to scroll at this point, nothing happens - the box and "Top Picks" remain on the screen.

And I don't understand your remark about Top Picks defaulting to Freeview.