Join now - be part of our community!

Surf/cycle through channels without changing channel

lycandroid
Explorer

Surf/cycle through channels without changing channel

I am the owner of a new sony bravia KDL-50W829B.  I have not had a bravia before - therefore possibly very dumb question.  

OK - I can change TV channels using prog up/down, or going into the guide.  Can I cycle through channels without actually changing channels whilst still watching the current channel.  e.g. using Sky TV (which I don't have) you can cycle through channels and it shows info down bottom of screen and if you want to change to that channel you press Select - then it changes channels.  I'm a bit dumbfounded that I don't appear to be able to do this with the bravia?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi, I am almost sure that browsing through the tv channels as you describe is not available on Bravia televisions although I am not sure why because it would be useful.
lycandroid
Explorer

Ah, I see now - supposed to use the Discover button and then go to the Digital section and can cycle through channels there.  It could be better though if you were able to get more program info, e.g. by hitting the info button.

lycandroid
Explorer

Having had the TV for a while now, I've come to the conclusion that the one thing that it does not excel at is actually what should be its primary function - watching television.

Gripe 1:  Go to channel (either directly or via up/down) - no information about the current program.  I have to press the info button to see info.  Every tv I know, including the cheap aging thing in my bedroom, shows the channel info when you move through channels.  

Gripe 2: As mentioned above when going through the Discover interface the info button on remote does nothing.  Really?  No-one thought the user might want to see program info?

Lesser gripe 3: The "Discover" implemenation shows tiles for each channel with not much info.  It downloads a picture for each tile, when the picture shows the layout of the tile changes.  Now some tiles have got info in one place and others in another.  UI consistency fail.