Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
mykool
Visitor

mkelane,  That is exactly my point. that is what I do as it is the only way round the issue.  I like to catch up on 5oD and none of the other technical solutiuons like Serviio etc. have a solution.  As iagibos49 says, it is meant to be an all in one solution.  That is how all manufacturers sell it but no one can deliver it.  And the problem appears to be the content providers not the TV manufacturers.  There does need to be some industry muscle applied somewhere by the manufacturers as the content  providers are making themsleve look total idiots (a ruder and cruder phrase does come to mind!!).  There are technical solutions as you point out but in this day and age there shouldn't be the constraints put on simplicity and efficiency like we are getting.  The truth is the content providers are not stopping us doing what we want, they just make it inconvenient because of their narrow minded and jumped up opinions on who should be allowed to see what, when, where and how.

Message was edited by: mykool

niwhite39
New

What will be interesting is the 2013 models and what services they provide. Samsung having all the services and a web browser with flash and better media support i.e mkv. Sony has to compete so will have to do something in 2013 and can't just rely on brand loyalty. Even the smaller brand sellers in the UK have caught up with Sony smart platforms. For the last few years Samsung have lead the way then the following year Sony add similar features so balls in Sonys court really.

I've every happy with my Sony EX723 but if you go to a shop today to buy a set and want online Samsung seems to be the clear winner and LG aren't far behind. I hope Sony can sort something out though I bet 2013 won't bring mkv support still, easy fixed with Homestream or Serviio.

Clem_Dye
Explorer

Trouble is, even if 4OD and ITVPlayer do make it to Sony Bravia kit, I doubt that owners of older kit (and I mean recent 'older' kit, say 1-2 years old) won't see updates. My Sony TV has iPlayer and Demand5, but I doubt if a firmware update will offer those missing catch-up services that I'm after. Samsung definitely seem to be the one to watch, and if their panels do end-up offering the main terrestrial catch-up services (and that looks very likely) and the likes of Sony don't then I know where my money will be going on future a/v purchases.

Youview is definitely gaining momentum, but like a lot of people, I don't need yet another PVR. The first manufacturer that offers a simple STB that provides access to the core catch-up services, with options to add extra free/paid-for content will have a winner on their hands, IMHO.

Clem

drhowells
New

Um, Clem, your last paragraph is the absolute defintion of what YouView is, but discussion about this is probably going off topic here.

Clem_Dye
Explorer

Yes, I appreciate that. The point that I was trying to make is that there's clearly a move towards what Youview is offering, but that Sony is lagging behind in that regard. I really like the fact that my Sony TV has iPlayer built-in -- it works really well. I would like my Sony kit to offer the other catch-up services too. Youview is the obvious player here but the fact that Samsung is making great strides (their support for 4OD is even mentioned on Channel 4's press release page somewhere) is highlighting the fact that Sony is way behind. Sony used to be viewed as an innovator, but if you look at what they have to offer that could be used instead (Google TV box, media player box) it's clear that they have a lot of work to do, or punters will take their wallets elsewhere.

Clem

sony-cat

If I wanted something like YouvView, I would build an XMBC box, I feel YouView is for people who can't do this. But it's not a question of alternatives, I want an easy life. TV is passive, I don't want to have to work to use it, that's the point! Otherise I would just use my computer. I just want my TV to do what it was designed for.

maddog2103
Visitor

Ive been reading all of these posts since I purchased my bravia kdl ex403 nearly 2 years ago. The retailer, comet, made a great deal of fus selling thus as future proof, internet ready tv. When I had it initially for the first few weeks I had itv and 4od, they dissapeared, then on each update since, I have seen more and more american video apps, none of which I want or would use.

I should have, under the trade discription act, ( miss selling of goods and services) returned it to them, got a full refund and purchased any other branded internet tv. However sony lied and said the updates will come.

This bravia is a folly, and waste of money.

It will never work like a samsung tv, which I was promissed by the salesman & sony tech support

I think sony have now lost their appeal as market leader, no one should buy a sony out of loyalty to their brand as their promise of support to loyal customers is non existent. They hide behind blaming itv, 4od etc etc, when infact it is their product which is the problem.

I shall have great pleasure, when I can afford to, purchasing a product that does what it says. Not thus overpriced lump of rubbish that I've got.

2 years waiting for what?

My next step is a sledge hammer straight through the screen.

Sony bravia kdl ex403 is total crap, sony support is total crap.

iagibso49

They're in such financial trouble, I think it's only a matter of time before they give up this charade.

bryfly
New

One thing is for sure, there is no way they are going to give us itv player etc etc.

iagibso49

There's no reason under the sun why they can't give 4OD, ITV player etc.

Sony are bankrupt and dying.