Join now - be part of our community!

Black Screen after Windows 8 Update

profile.country.en_GB.title
@3923072000025015
Visitor

Black Screen after Windows 8 Update

Hello all,

Have recently purchased a VAIO E Series 17 notebook with Windows 8.  During a windows update the screen turned black.   After a very long time I turned it off and turned it back on.  It gets as far as the VAIO logo then turns black. I used the Assist button whilst notebook was shutdown to get access to System Restore etc. I tried to restore from a recent restore point and got the following message "The local disk (C:/) has errors windows has detected file system corruption on local disk (C:).  You must check disk for errors before it can be restored."

I chose option Repair this drive and it said it was successfully repaired.  Then I tried System Restore again and I got a message "System Restore did not complete successfully your computers settings were not changed. Details: System restore failed while scanning the file system on the drive c:/.  The drive might be corrupt.  You might want to retry system restore after running chkdsk /R on this disk. An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0X81000204)".   

Not confident using commands so I tried another restore point and got "System failed unspecified error (0X80070020)".

I have emailed Sony however they have not yet replied how long do I wait for a reply?  Should I use my USB to recover to factory settings?  Would a Recovery repair these errors?  Is this a problem caused by Windows 8 updates or my new VAIO notebook?

Would be grateful of any help on this problem please.

Message was edited by: @3923072000025015

Tags

1 REPLY 1

Its know Windows 8 & Windows 8.1 issues & its related to Display Adapter & Monitor Driver issue. You have to boot your PC into the Safe mode to disable Display Adapter & Monitor Drivers. 

I resolved my issue with the help of below guide.
http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/step-by-step-how-to-solve-windows-81.html