Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD drive running slow

Stubro
Visitor

CD/DVD drive running slow

I have a vaio modle number- VGN-FS115Z,
I have had it for nearly three years but recently I have started to have problems when burning disks it seems to stick on a continual loop and never finalise,
also when running cd/ dvd's the cpu usage goes up to near 100% and the sound goes all stuttered and the picture runs slow, I havent added any programs to my computer recently and the is plenty of space on the hard drive i have already defraged both drives, and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and nothing has changed. I dont really want to run a recovery as i am currently unable to backup all of my files as i cant wright cds.
Is this problem solvable or is it the drive packing up??????????????

3 REPLIES 3
drali
Visitor

I've had similar problems, slightly annoying and is tempting to buy a replacement drive.

Best thing, I've done is use XP-tune-up, delete it and then use ccleaner several times -all options inc. ativex cleaning... much faster now.

Good luck with it

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Stubro and welcome to Club Vaio.

There have been a number of CD/DVD Drive problems recently. In all honesty it is most likely to be a failing burner.

If you are really unlucky, you will have a Sony DW-D56A drive which is notoriously bad!! Read here and be depressed!!

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=31787

There is a firmware update for the DW-D56A drive here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-FS&m=1811

One thing for you to try is to check that DMA (Direct Memory Access) is enabled on your drive. This would give similar symptoms, particularly the playback stutter you mention.

Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Double-click on Primary IDE Channel -> Advanced Settings.
Make sure ALL devices have "DMA if Available" selected and check that the Current Transfer Mode is "Ultra DMA Mode 4/5/6".
If any device is set to PIO mode then this is your problem.
Go Back and highlight Primary IDE Channel and right-click on it.
Select Uninstall and OK. You must uninstall - disabling is not enough.
Reboot your Vaio to reload the drivers and reset DMA.

If you have a secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager - do the same for that.

:wink:

Stubro
Visitor

Thanks for your help it turnes out that i am unlucky and it is a DW-D56A.
I enabled direct memory axcess and did the firm wear update and this has stopped the shuddered playback,
but i still have a problem writing to dvd's the drive does not seem to recognize them I have tryed two different brands of dvd-rw, and Keep getting the message that the disk is not recognized, could it be just bad disks or a more serious problem??????????????????