Join now - be part of our community!

delete selected old restore points

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

delete selected old restore points

hello, been a long time.

I need to free up some disc space and I am wondering if it is possible to delete some older (not all) system restore points on my vaio which has an xp pro operating system.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

You can remove all but the most recent restore point using ‘Disk Cleanup’:

Open ‘My Computer’ and right click the drive in question (usually the C drive) and select ‘Properties’ > on the General tab click ‘Disk Cleanup’ > after a few minutes a new window will open > click the ‘More Options’ tab. Under ‘System Restore', click ‘Clean up...’ > confirm that you are sure that you want to delete all but the most recent restore point > the process will start but you will not receive on screen details so wait a few minutes and then close the window (using the red X) – you should see an increase in the available space on that drive.

Alternatively click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > then in the left pane click ‘System Restore Settings’.
Unless you have altered the default you should see that the disk space usage is set to max. (12PERCENTAGESIGN of total drive space). You can move the slider down to a more acceptable level and then click ‘Apply’. This will remove restore points older than the set level and prevent a future build up of restore points beyond the total allocated size.

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Correction - right not left click to access 'Properties'...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

You can remove all but the most recent restore point using ‘Disk Cleanup’:

Open ‘My Computer’ and right click the drive in question (usually the C drive) and select ‘Properties’ > on the General tab click ‘Disk Cleanup’ > after a few minutes a new window will open > click the ‘More Options’ tab. Under ‘System Restore', click ‘Clean up...’ > confirm that you are sure that you want to delete all but the most recent restore point > the process will start but you will not receive on screen details so wait a few minutes and then close the window (using the red X) – you should see an increase in the available space on that drive.

Alternatively click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > then in the left pane click ‘System Restore Settings’.
Unless you have altered the default you should see that the disk space usage is set to max. (12PERCENTAGESIGN of total drive space). You can move the slider down to a more acceptable level and then click ‘Apply’. This will remove restore points older than the set level and prevent a future build up of restore points beyond the total allocated size.

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Correction - right not left click to access 'Properties'...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Good to 'talk' again. Thank you for your helpful answer. Its the latter solution that I was looking for for.

Gyron