Join now - be part of our community!

Disassembly instructions for Sony FW11E laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

Disassembly instructions for Sony FW11E laptop

The lid on my FW11E laptop (16.4inch widescreen) is heavily scratched and i plan to replace it with another sourced from eBay

Anyone know how easy it is to remove the lid and replace it?

If anyone has any disassembly instructions would be grateful if link can be posted here

One other thing, i have done a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit) but now find many of the functionality buttons / keys / shortcuts dont work ie volume button, webcam etc

The bluray drive also doesnt work, any idea how to get this working again and it is definitely not a hardware issue since other cds play with no problem

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I have never seen a disassembly guide for the FW-Series.  If you have time, look through here: -

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/278446-official-vaio-fw-series-owners-threa...

A clean install of Windows 7 formats the hard drive and everything is lost.  This includes all the Sony Software, applications and Utilities.  Following a clean install you will need to reinstall all this software again for the Fn keys to work.  Most programs cannot be downloaded. You will have to buy a new Blu-Ray player Program because WinDVD BD was only licensed to be installed with the original Sony OS.  You will need to by a commercial copy of WinDVD BD or PowerDVD Ultra.  You will also need to purchase the Arcsoft Webcam Companion software.

It would have been better to buy an UPGRADE version of Windows 7 and then you would have kept all the software, data, settings and programs from Vista - including WinDVD BD and the camera software.

Sony do not support Windows 7 on your model but you should be able to reinstall the Utilities for your model from either the download page here or from the download page for the FW21E: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FW11E

Some of the Vista stuff may not work.  In which case I would try the Windows 7 downloads for VGN-FW21E which Sony DO support for Windows 7:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FW21E&os=10

To get the Fn keys to work install these Windows 7 Utilities IN ORDER:

1. 7UPG_Sony Shared Library

2. 7UPG_Setting Utility Series

3. 7UPG_Vaio Event Service

:wink:

peshyxp
Visitor

Many thanks for that very helpful explanation

One question though.

How do i install the drivers which do not have an .exe extension since it is unclear how one installs these

Is it also possible to extract the WinDVD programme from a recovery disc and load that on in order to enable bluray playback or is it not as simple as that

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the driver file does not have a setup .EXE to run, you will have to install the driver from within Device Manager.

1. Find the uninstalled device in Device Manager and double-click on it.

2. Go to Driver Tab and select Update Driver.

3. Select Browse my computer for driver software.

4. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

5. Select Have Disk....

6. Select Browse....

7. Browse to the folder with the downloaded driver .INF file in it.

8. Next ..........

9. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".

10. Close & Re-Boot

If you find a "Mass Storage Device" uninstalled when you are in Device Manager - that is the Memory Card slot and will need the 3 Ricoh Memory Card drivers to be installed.

Unfortunately there are a few programs that cannot be extracted from the Recovery Media and can only be installed along with the original OS.  This is because the software manufacturers will not allow an installable version of their software to be made available free.  Sadly WinDVD and Webcam Companion are two of these.

Good Luck!

:wink:

Harrymo1342
Visitor

STEP #1 To remove lid, take out every screw at the bottom. Your lid should now come loose. Gently pull up with even force till it's completely removed. Take your new lid and undo what you have just done.

STEP #2 Look up online for product drivers. Download,run and install the drivers and you should be good. Also check weather your laptop runs 32 bit or 64 bit. Or maybe result into looking up 'Sony vaio-vgn fw11e windows 7 drivers and that should install your malfunctioning buttons. (by the way) This is coming from a twelve year old and all I needed is a bit of research. Ask me anything about this model of laptop or how to do something and I will tell you! Cheers- Harry.