Join now - be part of our community!

Extremely sensitive spacebar

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rboadle
Visitor

Extremely sensitive spacebar

I have a Sony VPCEB1E0E notebook which I have had for around 18 months now. I have found it to be very reliable up until now and not had any problems other than the usual thing with laptops- the fans get clogged with dust and get hot. A few days ago I opened up my laptop and blew out the dust from the fans and heat sink using compressed air and it is now running much cooler. However, I have noticed now that the spacebar is acting up a bit.

It is extremely sensitive (which it never was before), if I just stroke it, not press it, it will put spaces into my work and if I press it I often end up with multiple spaces. I have also noticed that sometimes when I am watching DVDs where pressing the spacebar pauses or unpauses the play it can shudder- pausing and unpausing very fast even though I am not touching the spacebar or any other keys. This usually stops when I firmly press the spacebar. I read online about checking for dirt under the key. It is a chiclet keyboard so not prone to dirt under the keys but I nevertheless blew under the key today to no avail.

Any ideas about what to do next? I have tried adjusting the key sensitivity in the control panel but that made no difference. I am capable of opening up again and messing about with connections inside if necessary.

Thanks

P.S. I love my keyboard! I need to save it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi rboadle and welcome,

If the keyboard was OK before you cleaned the Vaio, then I would check that all cables have been replaced securely and none of the screws you removed have been overtightened when replaced.

There are not any user repairs you can make to the keyboard itself.  If this has a fault you may have to consider replaceing the keyboard.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi rboadle and welcome,

If the keyboard was OK before you cleaned the Vaio, then I would check that all cables have been replaced securely and none of the screws you removed have been overtightened when replaced.

There are not any user repairs you can make to the keyboard itself.  If this has a fault you may have to consider replaceing the keyboard.

:thinking: