Join now - be part of our community!

Help! Lid closing and stand-by doesn't work anymore! fe-21m

mendel11
Visitor

Help! Lid closing and stand-by doesn't work anymore! fe-21m

Hi everybody,

I'm the almost happy owner of a fe-21m. It's a pretty good machine so far. Recently, I noticed that when closing the lid, the system would't go into sleep or stand-by mode.

Though this is a very pleasant function, I'd hate to lose, I'm looking for a solution.

Does anyone experience similar problems?

I also checked the system settings, but I can't find anything. Could the "lid-button"-detector be broken? Where is it anyhow?

I'd be happy to know!

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mendel11,

This option should be in the Power Properties, goto Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options.

A new window will open, first click on the the Hibernate tab and check that enable hibernate is selected, then click the Avanced tab and under power buttons check Hibernate is displayed in the option for 'When i close the lid on my Portable computer', if not select hibernate from the drop down list, click apply and OK

Then close the lid..:smileyhappy:

mendel11
Visitor

check Hibernate is displayed in the option for 'When i close the lid on my Portable computer', if not select hibernate from the drop down list, click apply and OK

Then close the lid..:smileyhappy:

Thanks Thalamus, but this is exactly the point! I checked it, and tried many different things (hibernate, standby, do nothing), but it doesn't help! Even the Wlan is configured to be shut down to save energy automatically!
Maybe it's a software problem?
Do you know how to check if the sensor is ok? Where is it installed?
How could I reset that setting without reinstalling it all?

The power button does it too, but.. it's less classy!
:heart_eyes:

Mendel

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mendel11,

When you press the power buton does your vaio hibernate..?

I believe the sensors is in the slot to the right of your touchpad and is activated by the lcd screen catch...

mendel11
Visitor

Thalamus,

Yes it does hibernate or shutdown or standby (depending on how I configure it) when I press the power button.
That's why it seems so strange, that the lid doesn't do the job anymore.

When I close the lid, nothing happens (system stays as it is), when I lock the lid with the bracket (right to my touchpad), nothing happens either.
This bracket makes a "click" when I push it to the right (to unlock), but doesn't when the other way (to the left). Does this sound normal?

Otherwise, automatic (timed) standby or hibernation both work correctly. It's just about the lid actually.

Any clues?:smileyconfused: :cry:

Thanks a lot.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mendel11,

This does sound as though the micro switch is malfunctioning. As Talamus pointed out most sensors are located to the right of the touchpad and are activated by the screen catch. However, your model uses an inverse system whereby the catch is to the right of the touchpad not on the screen.

Can you see any evidence of a sensor on the locating slot on the screen or possibly a small pin like protrusion at the junction of screen/keyboard.

Sorry to sound so vague on this but I am not familiar with your model

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

However, your model uses an inverse system whereby the catch is to the right of the touchpad not on the screen.

Thanks Rich I was not aware of that...[:">]

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks Rich I was not aware of that...

We can’t know the details of every model Thalamus (unless Sony would like to send all new models to us for testing) :smileygrin:

It's the first Vaio that I have come across that uses this system. Doesn't sound very good to me - locking/locating on one side only that is.
Heaven only knows where the sensor is:smileyconfused:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't know either but I guess it would be a magnetic sensor on these newer models.

:thinking:

mendel11
Visitor

Yep,

On the right of the touchpad, there is the hook of the locking system coming out, and catching the screen. Near to this system, there must be the sensor-system as you describe it! Must be magnetic, too.
It must be broken then.

Maybe I'll have to get in touch with sony.

Thank you all for your replies!:smileyhappy:

Mendel