Join now - be part of our community!

help me please!

artistfrank
Visitor

help me please!

Can anyone help me.... my harddrive failed and i have installed a new one.... i got the drivers from the sony site for the sound card and graphicics card etc... i installed them all... but some things still arnt working like the function keys and the volume and brightness switches.. and if i try to run the original discs that came with my vaio they say my notebook isnt recognised as a vaio! what do i do! can any body help please?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi artistfrank and welcome to Club Vaio.

In addition to the Drivers Package, you also need to download and install the Original Utilities Package. The Utilities manage the Fn Keys, Power Management, Camera etc.

Which model Vaio do you have?
XP or Vista?
Do you want to install the original OEM Sony Operating System - it sounds like you are trying to install another OS?

:thinking:

artistfrank
Visitor

thanks for your help... i will install the utilities hopefully that will cure the problem.

my model is an oldish one...pcg-grt915m

my harddrive failed, ive had someone look at it and its comepletely buggered. so i installed a new one with a new version of windows xp home. i tryed to use the validation key on the bottom of laptop but doesnt work! i have another key.
i saw the post about making a windows disc that accepts the sony key.
it seems a little complicated for me plus i dont have the missing files. so i may just use the new key.

can u tell me why my vaio is not recognised as a vaio?
I have the recovery disc but it refuses to even read anything from it...it says its blank! it dosnt look damaged..there are a few minor scratches, but nothing major.
And if i try to install the sonicstage software it says my laptop isnt a vaio!!!
im not too fussed about the sonicstage software... i just want it to acknowlege my laptop as a vaio... cos it is one!

thanks again for you reply, i hope you can enlighten me further.
Best regards,
Frank.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Frank,

Installing the Utilities should fix the problem and your GRT should then be recognised as a VAIO.

Download the Original Utilities Package - GRT9_Utilities.zip - to a temporary folder.
Right-click on the downloaded .ZIP and choose "Extract All"
Choose to extract to C:\
Run by double clicking on C:\GRT9_Utilities\Utils\Utils.EXE

This should install ALL the original Utilities and your GRT will be a Vaio again!!

If you want to reinstall the original Sony Software, try copying the Recovery Disc on another computer and see if your Vaio will read it. If not, you may have to buy a new recovery disc from Sony. This usually costs about £30 - you will have to decide if it is worth it. Possibly not as you have another XP License and I doubt if you use the original programs much.

You can download SonicStage from here for free: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?article=1138634683612&site=odw_en_GB

Good Luck!!

:wink:

artistfrank
Visitor

thanks blencogo your a legend!

installing the utilities sure did restore my vaio to its original status. still cant read the restore disc, but if all it has are the extra programs that were installed when i got my vaio, i can live without them.

i came across an article saying that if you used a phone to register windows, you could use the original verification key stuck on your laptop. I tried it and it worked!!!! yay! i dont kno if it would work every time but it worked fine for me..... it wouldnt except it online, i kept saying id made a typo, but i tried the automated freephone service... and after punching a huge long id code from the wizard to the phone.... and then typing in another huge long code from phone to computer it verified fine.... woohoo!

it may be worth mentioning to anyone having similar probs to me, seeing as your such a helpful chap.

thanks a million!