Join now - be part of our community!

Installing RAM on VAIO VPC EH2P0E - 2 slots??

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
fourseries
Visitor

Installing RAM on VAIO VPC EH2P0E - 2 slots??

Hello

I would appreciate some help.  A couple of weeks ago I bought a Vaio VPC EH2P0E with 4GB of RAM and a 2.4GHZ Intel I5 processor.  It is straight out of the box and is not a bespoke specification.

I would like to upgrade the RAM now whilst the system is new and RAM is freely available.  I ran a Crucial memory test on the system which revealed the motherboard has 2 slots for RAM available, one of which is free.  The board can take up to 8GB of RAM.

I then went away and bought the appropriate RAM, identical specifications to the 4GB SODIMM that is currently installed.  However, I have a problem.   When I open up the service hatch underneath the laptop, I can only access one of the slots to the RAM, and this slot is currently in use by the 4GB SODIMM which came with the laptop.

My questions are:

-         Are there two slots for RAM available on my computer?

-         If yes, how can I access the free slot?   There is no reference to another slot within my user manual and no instructions as to how to access the second slot if one exists.  However, I have searched the net and found reference on other models to a second slot being underneath the keyboard.   Having just bought the computer, I am reluctant to go messing around unscrewing the wrong screws and the whole thing falling apart when I try to take off the keyboard.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Message was edited by: fourseries

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fourseries
Visitor

OK, after a little closer inspection it appears that there are two slots for RAM that are fully accessible by removing the back panel on the back of the laptop.

The free slot sits on top / above the slot with the pre-installed RAM.   I installed 4GB of Corsair DDR 3 1333MHZ RAM, the same spec as the pre-installed RAM and it works perfectly.  I now have 8GB of RAM recongised in Windows 7 64bit.  I was slightly concerned this may not work due to reports on this forum that Corsair can be problematic, however, it appears in this case it has worked.

My advice before you buy ram would be to check out the free memory test by Crucial to ensure you buy the right RAM for your machine. This saved a lot of hassle.  Also, don't go unscrewing anything until you have fully consulted the manual and checked all existing easily accessible service hatches.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
fourseries
Visitor

OK, after a little closer inspection it appears that there are two slots for RAM that are fully accessible by removing the back panel on the back of the laptop.

The free slot sits on top / above the slot with the pre-installed RAM.   I installed 4GB of Corsair DDR 3 1333MHZ RAM, the same spec as the pre-installed RAM and it works perfectly.  I now have 8GB of RAM recongised in Windows 7 64bit.  I was slightly concerned this may not work due to reports on this forum that Corsair can be problematic, however, it appears in this case it has worked.

My advice before you buy ram would be to check out the free memory test by Crucial to ensure you buy the right RAM for your machine. This saved a lot of hassle.  Also, don't go unscrewing anything until you have fully consulted the manual and checked all existing easily accessible service hatches.

fourseries
Visitor

You may also find this image useful, linked from Wikipedia, supposedly of a Vaio E Series motherboard, though I can't vouch for this other than saying the RAM slots appears to be in the right place (the audio jacks however are not).   If you look in the centre of the board to the left of the fan you can see how the RAM slots are stacked (they are vacant in this shot).

Right click and save the image below - will allow you to zoom.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/EBMotherboard.JPG