Join now - be part of our community!

Intermittent wireless connection

duncanda
Visitor

Intermittent wireless connection

Hi

I'd appreciate any advice. I have a new VGN-A195HP which detects and connects to a Belkin F5D6050 wireless network adapter. Both laptop and PC use XP. The problem is that the Vaio keeps dropping the connection, despite the signal being "Excellent". It drops for a few seconds then reconnects. It might go for 10 minutes before it drops or 2 minutes. Very frustrating. A 4 year old XP laptop, with a £15 wireless card never drops the connection. I have the latest Sony wireless driver. I operate it with Safenet VPN client, which I need to use. The 4 year old laptop doesn't use VPN. What's the problem?

Many thanks

17 REPLIES 17
TygerTyger
Visitor

Just with what I said about hearing the wireless card was Vaio's weak spot, I did a little experiment. I put a Compaq, a Toshiba and my Vaio next to each other and looked and the Windows signal strength meter. Guess which one was weaker than the rest :slight_frown:

duncanda
Visitor

I've not had any response from Sony support.

I tried an experiment and put a £15 unknown brand PCMCIA 802.11g card in the Vaio, made a new connection and hey presto, works just fine. No drop outs.

I used a hotspot in London the other day, with the onboard wireless card, and no drop-outs. Also with the onboard card, I can't access the internet with a particular make and version of an access point. the Vaio detects it, but get through it!!! All very strange.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Well it's not that strange, it's just a fookin sheet card as the Liverpudlians would say. Well perhaps not that bad lol. What card did you get? I didn't know you could replace them I think I will probably do the same, see if it fixes my problem.
What model vaio do you have?

duncanda
Visitor

Hi

I have a Vaio VGN-A195HP.

Just pop into your friendly PC World and get a PCMCIA card. I bought mine at a small local "cheapo IT stuff" shop which had an 802.11g brand called Peak, www.peakhardware.com, for £15, made in Taiwan. PC World will no doubt charge more for different brands.

I just followed the card instructions. Once instructions are carried out, to use the PCMCIA card instead of the onboard wireless, my Vaio has a slide switch on the front. I just switched it off. Then look at your network connections. I think mine automatically created a 2nd wireless network connection. Just right-click the new connection and enable" it. that should be it.

robxter
Visitor

Hi,
no problem with my A115B Vaio and my zyxel 650hw ( 802.11b ) adsl wireless router ... full download and upload without intermittent connections. All the settings were in default state .

Bye ! ( maybe some problem with wifi mini-pci board ? )

PS: no problem with wireless connections but one big problem with the lcd lamp !! the notebook is in a french repair centre !!...i'm waiting for it !

Jonathan_FR
Visitor

Hi Vaio addicts,

Me own a PCG-GRX616SP (a real 5000¿ monster, I love it)
And a Sony WLAN card

Same issue for me, connection dropping after 10-15 min

Googled a bit and found out that 802.11b is a real peace of crap compared to the g version
But I have no choice, my card and my adsl hub won't do g version

So I came up with this: 802.11b is far to unstable if you use IEEE 802.1X authentication
So just deactivate it

To do that go to your wireless connection properties, select your current wireless network, click properties
Then go to the Authentication tab, and uncheck Activate IEEE 802.1X authentication for this network
Valid everything, wait a few sec and continue your business...

everything now fine for me
hope it helps

profile.country.en_GB.title
joes1999999
Visitor

i have the same problem.... does anyone have an answer ?

vaio vgnfe41e vista home premium

thanks

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Irondiva
Explorer

Same for me. Just bought a new laptop SVS1312K3E. Same issue with intermittent wireless.

Have my old one standing on the left of me VAIO VPCSB4L1E and my previous one on the right (which my boyfried uses now) VPCEB4Z1E. None of them have this issue. Only my new one...

However, being serious, when I bought all of them I fighted a lot with the perfomance and glitches and I found one perfect solution - DELETE ALL VAIO SOFTWARE...

It seems I am going to do the same here and see how it goes afterwards.