Join now - be part of our community!

Internal webcam and microphone suddenly has stopped working!

profile.country.en_GB.title
NL_1979
Visitor

Internal webcam and microphone suddenly has stopped working!

Hi there.  In desperate need of some help….I am not very technical but will do my best to explain. I am working with a VPCCB2MOE with Windows 7 laptop and until this yesterday morning my built in camera and internal microphone seemed to be working perfectly. Until I tried to Skype when I could no longer use the microphone or the webcam – and they are not working on any part of my computer now. Coincidently when I realised webcam was not working on Skype I switched my webcam on via Webcam Companion 4 to check it, the software did update but I am pretty sure it wasn’t working before this.  And when I use the webcam via this programme it says “webcam not found” So it’s like they are not even recognised by the computer, as I do not see them under the device manager- although I don’t really know what I am exactly looking for - however they are definitely still integrated into my screen 😉 Having read somewhere it may help, I have even uninstalled and reinstalled Skype but that is not help either.

Do I need reinstall driver or…?? I did have a critical blue screen thing a couple of weeks ago but the computer recovered from that seemingly well and I have been able to use Skype since. And I did also get a message a couple of weeks ago saying one of my USB’s had stopped working but in my naivety, I didn’t think my camera and microphone had anything to do with USBs?  I am also concerned there is something bigger going on with my computer other than the webcam and microphone not working (however annoying that it in its own right). Has one even got anything to do with another?  Please can some help with this issue? I have gone through advice in other forums but nothing has really helped.  Many thanks in advance.  

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NL_1979,

This could possibly be a glitch with the USB controllers. Start your troubleshooting as follows:

Open Device Manager > expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right click each item listed in the tree and select uninstall. Then shut down, remove power adaptor and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Re-attach battery and power adaptor and reboot. Windows will reinstall the USB controller drivers.

Hopefully the camera will then be recognised.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NL_1979
Visitor

Thank you Rich, I shall try this.  Before I do this, do I need to back up, will doing this get rid of any further information on my computer  - sorry if this is a ridiculous question ;-).  Thanks again!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NL_1979,

That procedure will not remove any personal or other information from your computer. That said you should always have a backup of personal date.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NL_1979
Visitor

Thank you Rich.  I followed your advice and everything did as it should...except the webcam and microphone are still not working.  Any other advice would be gratefully received.  Thanks again. 

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NL_1979,

If the webcam is recognised by device manager it will be listed under Imaging devices and listed as USB2.0 camera. If it is not present then it could be a hardware fault.

I assume you have investigated the Skype settings for both camera and mic under Tools > Options?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NL_1979
Visitor

Hi Rich.  Sorry for the delay in replying, but...the webcam is not recognised on the device manager.  And I have indeed checked all the options on Skype etc..  So I am thinking it must be a hardware problem, the microphone is initially recognised but then goes off, so I will keep investigating.  Thank you for your help anyway.