Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop startup problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
bevcrook
Explorer

Laptop startup problems

More often than not, when I start up my laptop, it doesn't load properly. Sometimes I get a black screen with just the Start button in the corner. Sometimes it will load the desktop and icons, but not the task bar, sometimes it will load the taskbar but not the icons. I have to shut down and restart three times sometimes before it will load properly.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here? Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
bevcrook
Explorer

Can anyone recommend a support forum where I can get some answers to my questions? THX

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bevcrook,

You have not given your model number or operating system so it is difficult to tell what the problem is.

However I suggest you initially try a system repair as first thoughts are that the operating system has been corrupted. To do this with Windows 7, press and hold F8 at boot when you see the Vaio logo. Then select ‘Repair Your Computer’. If your operating system is Windows 8 please let us know as the procedure is different.

As a matter of interest and also to rule out a driver or third party service problem have you tried ‘Safe Mode’?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bevcrook
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.

My laptop is a Vaio VPCE1Z0E, Windows 7.

If I run a repair will this affect my files and documents?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No, a repair should not affect anything but the operating system.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
saiqa.r
New

I wonder if you could help me, my laptop the vfit, model SVF15A1C5E was installing updates and then went to restart since then it switches on, keyboard lights up but the screen stays black. It looks like its loaded up but i cant see anything. Does this sound fixable by myself or something that needs to go for a repair?. Only had the laptop for 3wks...
saiqa.r
New

Its windows 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi saiqa.r,

Try either a system restore - Assist Button when fully shut down --> Recover or maintain your system --> Troubleshoot --> Advanced options --> System Restore.

OR

An automatic repair - Assist Button when fully shut down --> Recover or maintain your system -->  Troubleshoot --> Advanced options -->  Automatic Repair .

Don’t try the ‘Refresh’ option or you will lose all pre-installed Sony software.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat