Join now - be part of our community!

Reinstall XP without original disks

ramirez69
Visitor

Reinstall XP without original disks

Hi,

I've just inherited my mates Laptop, but he didn't like XP that the laptop came with and installed Win2000, like 3-4 years ago...

Its a PCG-FX605.

I notice that there is some sort of special partition 8M on the hard disk, but I'm wondering would any disk of XP do to reinstall seeings how the Windows license is on the bottom of the laptop or do I need to beg borrow an olde XP disk...

And what is the 8M partition for?

Is there a FAQ on this...

I'd appreciate any all help... On the best way to get XP back on this little beauty... now with 512M 🙂

Ta

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ramirez69,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

When your friend received his PCG-FX605 Sony would have been supplied with the the Vaio a recovery disc/s. Hopefully your friend will still have this disc.?

If not you can if you wish order a replacement recover disc set from Sony Vaio Support, this will enable you to restore the original XP OS and all of the pre-installed applications, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

And what is the 8M partition for?

I'm unsure what the 8m partition is for as this model Vaio did not have a HDD recovery partition, perhaps your friend created a extra partition.. :thinking:

ramirez69
Visitor

Thanks for that, have now ordered my Recovery Disks and they were reasonably priced so thank you.

Resurected Laptop coming up as soon as I get the disks.... Give the olde viao a new lease of life.

Thanks very much for you help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: